MakeWebGames

Licence

AdamHull

no its defiantly not free grant owns full ownership so to get a official license you would be best to contact him but last time i spoke to grant (last year) he said he would have the site set up by January this year its now may so dunno what happened but if you contact him directly he might issue you a license last time i spoke to him he said it would be around $50

Actually when Publius owned it, he never sold it, and it was free, I have the original copy of it from way back, and I couldn't care a less if Grant owns it now, if I was given the download link from Publius back than for free, and if I ever decide to use the engine now, I am NOT buying a license from Grant, when it was Free to use, he would have to really prove that he changed the engine, or have the legitimacy ownership of it through the Business Office, or have a business license to sell such product online. Thus is why Publius NEVER sold it, and gave it freely...Also his(Publius) link to the engine was disabled after he no longer supported it.

Edited by lucky3809

Well for arguments sake let's say Grant does hold ALL rights to GRPG. He has the right to sell it if he so wishes. As the owner of a product you can change your prices at anytime what so ever. Would it be nice if he said that the legacy engine was free? Sure it would but does he have to? No!

And I don't see where you get the idea that you must have a license to sell products as long as you follow your state/country tax laws and it's really none of your business if he is paying his taxes on what he sells. Because you are saying these following things are illegal:

1. Yard/Garage Sales
  2. Craigslist
  3. Ebay
  4. Anyone who lists mods here to sell

So we better get a hold of the FTC about these guys right? Good luck with that one. If I want to sell something I make as long as it's not a drug for the most part then I'm legally allowed to do so, along with [MENTION=66442]grant[/MENTION], [MENTION=1]a_bertrand[/MENTION], [MENTION=50433]ColdBlooded[/MENTION], and others here. I don't need to get a business license to do so.

Well for arguments sake let's say Grant does hold ALL rights to GRPG. He has the right to sell it if he so wishes. As the owner of a product you can change your prices at anytime what so ever. Would it be nice if he said that the legacy engine was free? Sure it would but does he have to? No!

And I don't see where you get the idea that you must have a license to sell products as long as you follow your state/country tax laws and it's really none of your business if he is paying his taxes on what he sells. Because you are saying these following things are illegal:

1. Yard/Garage Sales
  2. Craigslist
  3. Ebay
  4. Anyone who lists mods here to sell

So we better get a hold of the FTC about these guys right? Good luck with that one. If I want to sell something I make as long as it's not a drug for the most part then I'm legally allowed to do so, along with [MENTION=66442]grant[/MENTION], [MENTION=1]a_bertrand[/MENTION], [MENTION=50433]ColdBlooded[/MENTION], and others here. I don't need to get a business license to do so.

For one yard/garage sales is not a business, craigslist is not a business either, Ebay is a business and they carry a license for others to use their website to sell their items legit, they also have a business License!! So yes when you have a BUSINESS it is everyone's BUSINESS to see your Business license!

And NO If I got a product for free he can not force a LICENSE on a product that has been already released to the public for free with an Open Source License, unless he has changed the whole product to another Version I know the LAW where I reside, I am not stupid like people wants people to be on the internet... I think you sir need to read your copyrights on Open Source and what copyrights they have given up!

Edited by lucky3809

For one yard/garage sales is not a business, craigslist is not a business either, Ebay is a business and they carry a license for others to use their website to sell their items legit, they also have a business License!! So yes when you have a BUSINESS it is everyone's BUSINESS to see your Business license!

Ignoring Grpg for the moment as I don't know the history of it you're wrong about the business licenses. They are often for specific things e.g. street trading or selling alcohol. A sole trader for example can go three months without registering when they start up, and when they do register it's only with HMRC unless they do a specific trade that requires a license. Of course this count for any trade where safety standards have to be followed and you have to be registered to work in the field (e.g. gas work).

This changes for every country of course.

Well I understand where you are coming from, and I don't know where you reside it's different for all of us.

For GRPG, if released under an open source license, you can't then sell it.

GRPG by Publius was given under an Open Source License to the public, Grant can not now start selling it, he would be violating the Open Source copyright laws.

And this is the part that this forum is not understanding!! And trying to tell others that they NEED to buy a license. The license was NEVER for sell Publius gave the engine under an Open Source License, and than disabled the link 2 years after, when he no longer supported the engine. So if others feel the need to violate the Open Source copyright law, go ahead, but when I happen to ever use my original copy with Open Source License that was given I will NOT buy a License now just because Grant owns the website or the scripts. Just because there is a new owner does not mean that they can start selling a product that has been given under an Open Source License. That is what I am trying to state!

He can make another Version of the engine though and sell it, but he can NOT sell the one that Publius gave out freely!

That is what I meant by not being able to sell the engine if it's under an open source license. What one was it under?

It is licensed under the GNU General Public License Version 2. Which Grant can not withdraw the license, because the public already has the right to use the engine, it is violating the license agreement, and also there is a link to report it, when it has been violated.

It is licensed under the GNU General Public License Version 2. Which Grant can not withdraw the license, because the public already has the right to use the engine, it is violating the license agreement, and also there is a link to report it, when it has been violated.

Well if that's the case then your right about charging for legacy code. But he still doesn't need a business license really

the grpg was out on beta test and was or not on sale by Publius for $50 for the code the code has been changed and upgraded its not on sale yet but will be real soon just been dealing with rl issues but preview will be out soon

Again it's what I meant. Open source is open source... Not sure if you're just expanding now or actually trying to correct a misunderstanding.

So i have a orginal copy on my pc so that means if i use it as it is under open source i will not got my site taken down as they can not put a price on it as it has been relased as open source. I like what i am hearing

I had mine go down. I have the Open Source License. You saying Grant pay him for a Open Source License. Something fishy here. Grant needs to change alot of Scripts out of GRPG. I got it secured