MakeWebGames

Hosting Your Own

lucky3809

Just wondering what others thought...

Would it be wiser to host your own website, other than going with a hosting company?

What would be the pros and cons?

I turned my desktop into a server the other day, but it's just temporary for testing, I am just wondering if it's worth investing in an actual server and running it yourself, or is it better to just have a commercial hosting company host your websites?

With the overheads of running a website 24/7 - time, sever maintenance, electricity, security enhancements/pen testing - you're better off going with the professional company that will do the majority of that for you, for a small* price; leaving you to focus on your site and audience.

But that's my opinion.

It really depends on your websites needs. If you're running a huge website which really depends on the uptime you're better of getting a managed dedicated/VPS box. If you're playing around or in some form of beta I'd always suggest running your own box so you can tweak them as you see fit.

Also depends quite a lot on your budget. Shared hosting is considerably cheaper but will fall over when trying to run larger sites.

If you do plan to roll your own go with DigitalOcean!

https://www.digitalocean.com/

It really depends on your websites needs. If you're running a huge website which really depends on the uptime you're better of getting a managed dedicated/VPS box. If you're playing around or in some form of beta I'd always suggest running your own box so you can tweak them as you see fit.

Also depends quite a lot on your budget. Shared hosting is considerably cheaper but will fall over when trying to run larger sites.

If you do plan to roll your own go with DigitalOcean!

https://www.digitalocean.com/

+infinity for Digital Ocean!

Check out webfaction.com

With them you get some some sweet resources. I've got a number of python and PHP environments installed on there and theres not many shared hosting services that offer that. You can install most things on there without problems; PIP, easy_install and PEAR (for PHP) are all available and i've even installed NoSQL databases so the skys the limit I guess.

..oh and it costs like $9 a month which is peanuts.