MakeWebGames

Hosting For Mccodes V2!

StephenGfx

• 2 weeks later...

Why do people suggest a VPS, most of the time shared hosting, or specifically cloud can actually host more than a VPS if set in the right environment. Plus a VPS has the added configuration and messing around.

Why do people suggest a VPS, most of the time shared hosting, or specifically cloud can actually host more than a VPS if set in the right environment. Plus a VPS has the added configuration and messing around.

A free host is not going to cut the mustard if you are serious about a game, and aspire to have an active player base

A paid, shared host is also not going to be ideal in the long run, queries will start to fail due to shared lag, crons will drive the server load crazy and I would say unless the host doesn't mind 'overselling' they will ask you to host elsewhere

To me if you don't have the basic knowledge or are at least prepared to follow simple guides to set up a vps/dedi to run a game properly, you won't get very far

All the configuration needed to set up a VPS ready to host a game is to install nginx (or apache if you're that way inclined), php, mysql (and crontab if you are daft enough to use mccode), 4 simple commands. By all means, use a free/shared host to build a script but in this day and age a VPS can come at the same price as shared hosting and an entry level vps with even 512mb ram and a single core will be sufficient until the players and donations come rolling in. Hosting should be the first thing donations go back into, not the latest call of duty game which seems to be the main reason people set up half assed games using 000webhost, a nulled script and free mods from this forum

Well sadly I hate to see you go to an free host. Well like Vaz said is kind of true, maybe he had to save up for the engine Vaz?

Same as above, free & shared hosting is fine for building and testing a script but is far from ideal for anyone serious about running a game.

After a few players come in and donate, there is plenty of money to use on a private server

A free host is not going to cut the mustard if you are serious about a game, and aspire to have an active player base

A paid, shared host is also not going to be ideal in the long run, queries will start to fail due to shared lag, crons will drive the server load crazy and I would say unless the host doesn't mind 'overselling' they will ask you to host elsewhere

To me if you don't have the basic knowledge or are at least prepared to follow simple guides to set up a vps/dedi to run a game properly, you won't get very far

All the configuration needed to set up a VPS ready to host a game is to install nginx (or apache if you're that way inclined), php, mysql (and crontab if you are daft enough to use mccode), 4 simple commands. By all means, use a free/shared host to build a script but in this day and age a VPS can come at the same price as shared hosting and an entry level vps with even 512mb ram and a single core will be sufficient until the players and donations come rolling in. Hosting should be the first thing donations go back into, not the latest call of duty game which seems to be the main reason people set up half assed games using 000webhost, a nulled script and free mods from this forum

Same as above, free & shared hosting is fine for building and testing a script but is far from ideal for anyone serious about running a game.

After a few players come in and donate, there is plenty of money to use on a private server

I may have a biased opinion on this subject, I currently host with VidaHost, a reputable UK host. I have met the support team and the directors face to face, I can tell you from that they don't oversell. In fact there cloud hosting package is built for spikes in usage allowing you to modify to your needs the package you buy.

I run multiple sites, getting 100's of gigs of bandwidth used over the month, however not once that I have reached the limit in CPU and/or memory and/or bandwidth have they ever suspended me. They send me an email stating what is needed and what has happened and I adjust. I love their cloud hosting.

However I do have several friends who are so called "experts" in their field which do assist me in server management. Which brings me on to the next point, a very successful game has a team behind them, in which each person excels in a certain field. Take a game I develop for example. We have the CEO who takes care of daily business needs, a CTO who manages the technology as well as programs, this includes server management. Around 30-50 volunteer support staff. Several dedicated community managers and several developers. As a team we work very well. However that is just an example of how separate roles are needed for each job :)

Cloud hosting I suppose is slightly different.

But if you go to the mainstream hosts such as hostgator, fasthosts.co.uk, etc, they will just take your money, add you into an overcrowded server, give you a cpanel login and away you go. That way, regular page load time is going to be poor, queries might fail, especially when crons run and no one is going to think it's worth playing!

Cloud hosting I suppose is slightly different.

But if you go to the mainstream hosts such as hostgator, fasthosts.co.uk, etc, they will just take your money, add you into an overcrowded server, give you a cpanel login and away you go. That way, regular page load time is going to be poor, queries might fail, especially when crons run and no one is going to think it's worth playing!

Well I can certainly agree on that! :)