MakeWebGames

Initial setup of engine

proxpromo

Perhaps I'm asking a bit much but After searching online for how-to's regarding mmorpg, and NWE, I'm yet to find shall we say a step by step guide for noobs?

I've read most of the wiki but there's no real explanation (that I could find) as to what exactly things like dexterity, reload, or drops formula means or does?

Has anyone created something like a step by step tut or am I really asking too much?

I've downloaded the free version to try it out and guess I will work it out in the end but a tutorial would be helpful.

This is on my todo list todo. I haven't really dabbled in the item drops at all but I guess I can take a look at it.

To answer your question: Its not too much to ask. A lot of the stuff in the tables like training etc basically runs arbitrary code with conditions that are imported from a couple wizard tables.

Wizard tables are like what it sounds like "wizard" => "magic" and just allows for easy executions of the arbitrary code and its conditions.

Take for example the trainings:

You have requirements and effects. You set the requirements (conditions) the player must have in order to complete that training session like currency and a value of say 10 for arguments sake, If the player meets those requirements (condtions) then he can then go through with it and the effect will kick in like stength and a value like rand(2, 5). It will then look something like this:

if ($userStat["!Currency"]->value >= 50)
   $userStat["strength"]->value += rand (2, 5);

So I hope this sheds a little insight on how stuff works inside the table editor

What does a step by step means for you? Usually a step by step means for me that I'm guided to some procedure to do something. Here you want info about the existing stats of your game... not really a step by step for me so I'm lost.

Just ask here in the forums exactly what you want / don't understand and I shall try to help you.

Dexterity is used during combats and maybe while you try to wear some item.

Reload? Where did you saw it?

item_drop for the NPC warriors let you define what kind of items a player could gain from a combat.

Thanks for the replies, it's good that the engine is well supported.

Please note most of my questions for now are not urgent, so don't rush for answers I am still testing/playing around.

reload is in the NPC tables, I think I've guessed that this might be a time until that NPC is available for battle again?

As for step by step I guess I'm looking for something that will tell me exactly what each entry does/means.

eg in NPC there are tables for normal cost, special cost, and drops formula which I don't really understand what they mean.

I also don't really understand what you meant when you said "Here you want info about the existing stats of your game"

I don't have a game, I'm reading through the wiki and trying to work out what all the settings are, what they do, how to set them etc.

I guess I'm more used to the mc.... script which to me I found easier to understand.

I don't want to use that script due to the enormous security vulnerabilities that I have heard about and everything I have found online in terms of reviews it seems this is the best engine out there currently.

Do either of you have a site setup running this script that I could join and get the feel of which might help me understand better? Maybe NWE is too much due to my limited experience (my fault nothing against the script) but I would still like to try.

I'll play a few games using your script, get the demo/free version running and work out what I can before I come back looking for answers that I could possibly work out myself.

Thanks for the replies, it's good that the engine is well supported.

Please note most of my questions for now are not urgent, so don't rush for answers I am still testing/playing around.

reload is in the NPC tables, I think I've guessed that this might be a time until that NPC is available for battle again?

As for step by step I guess I'm looking for something that will tell me exactly what each entry does/means.

eg in NPC there are tables for normal cost, special cost, and drops formula which I don't really understand what they mean.

I also don't really understand what you meant when you said "Here you want info about the existing stats of your game"

I don't have a game, I'm reading through the wiki and trying to work out what all the settings are, what they do, how to set them etc.

I guess I'm more used to the mc.... script which to me I found easier to understand.

I don't want to use that script due to the enormous security vulnerabilities that I have heard about and everything I have found online in terms of reviews it seems this is the best engine out there currently.

Do either of you have a site setup running this script that I could join and get the feel of which might help me understand better? Maybe NWE is too much due to my limited experience (my fault nothing against the script) but I would still like to try.

I'll play a few games using your script, get the demo/free version running and work out what I can before I come back looking for answers that I could possibly work out myself.

I don't believe there is a game running using the "engine" yet -- few supposed to be in production, but no pre-release screenshots etc yet.

I think its because some people are scared to move on to something new. NWE is still pretty young and I have high hopes for It. Myself, if I spent the time I couldve probably had a game up and running by now but I don't want to run a game per se` its just not my cup of tea.

You will find that if you dig into the engine/frame work you'll see that its relatively easy to use/build, it just takes some digging around and there are plenty of free modules that you can download and research. If you read my blog here I have just a couple of posts that kind of show you behind the scenes of NWE that you can possibly learn from as well

If it's in the npc_warrior table, then reload_energy is what the NPC will gain at each "round". The energy is then used to know if at that round the NPC (or yourself) can attack and what kind of attack can be done.

item_drops are basically like that: item_id/percentage_of_chance,item_id/percentage_of_chance,...

so you split all the possible item drops by a coma (,) and each item have it's own probability to drop.

NWE is certainly different from McCodes, as it was designed as more flexible, which means offers more customizations options than McCodes (without changing the code that's it). Stats for examples are defined in the DB not inside the code.