MakeWebGames

Missions / Milestones / Achievements - Mod request

dnenb

I have a mission-system in my game that I coded myself, working but kinda messy. Can anyone point me to a mod with missions/achievements/milestones that works alright? That you've tested? Could be a paid mod or a free mod, doesn't matter.

What sort of missions are you looking to implement? Could be a fun little mod to build with some more details

A simple one would be like this: http://makewebgames.io/showthread.php/37183-A-very-simple-milestones

A more advanced one could have complicated missions, like "bring an [item] for big joe in [cityname]" or "there's this guy in [cityname] who needs to learn a lesson. go there and put him in the hospital, then get back to me".

The ones I have in Mobile Mafia now are: do your first crime, get help (view the tutorial), read the rules, go to the gym, first travel, 10 crimes/ day (daily mission).

This could easily be done, rewarding players whenever they reach a certain stat/level. Could be a fun little thing to write... if I ever find time.

A more advanced one could have complicated missions, like "bring an [item] for big joe in [cityname]" or "there's this guy in [cityname] who needs to learn a lesson. go there and put him in the hospital, then get back to me".

The ones I have in Mobile Mafia now are: do your first crime, get help (view the tutorial), read the rules, go to the gym, first travel, 10 crimes/ day (daily mission).

Due to the way McCodes was written there is no easy way to build a dynamic NPC like you've said, or even add actions to those. Personally I'd say if you're using McCodes hire a coder to code you a set of missions as he'll need to place key points into parts of the code.

Personally I'd say if you're using McCodes hire a coder to code you a set of missions as he'll need to place key points into parts of the code.

That's what I've done with the few missions I have. A function like mission(userid,missionid) is called at various pages that checks if the mission is done and can be rewarded. Achievements/milestones like the first link will be the easy way to do it, I guess..

That's what I've done with the few missions I have. A function like mission(userid,missionid) is called at various pages that checks if the mission is done and can be rewarded. Achievements/milestones like the first link will be the easy way to do it, I guess..

It's annoying there is no way to build these kind of things through an admin interface. Really a games engine/framework should be a lot more dynamic than this and actually allow a multitude of options, McCodes provides an 'out of the box' game that just works. It's a shame it doesn't provide more options and features to benefit game owners and their player.

Due to the way McCodes was written there is no easy way to build a dynamic NPC like you've said, or even add actions to those. Personally I'd say if you're using McCodes hire a coder to code you a set of missions as he'll need to place key points into parts of the code.

Um, sure.

I've done this for a game I'm working on currently, and, in theory, it would seem easy to integrate it into McCodes. What you've said suggests you'd have to adapt the engine around this modification, when in actual fact, you adapt the modification to fit the engine.

The way that the system - McCodes - is built wouldn't make creating this type of modification any more hard than it would be if the core was coded any differently. Why? Because you would adapt the modification around the existing product you're trying to modify.

In my version, I've created a 'generator' to generate custom "codes" I can use to do validation checks on a players progress, which is then interpreted by a custom reader. The only thing which wasn't "easy" about doing it was to make it secure against user created quests.

You can probably see this in action early next year, by the way - and I'm not hijacking the thread to build suspense for my product, it was just a bi-product of explaining ;)

Um, sure.

I've done this for a game I'm working on currently, and, in theory, it would seem easy to integrate it into McCodes. What you've said suggests you'd have to adapt the engine around this modification, when in actual fact, you adapt the modification to fit the engine.

The way that the system - McCodes - is built wouldn't make creating this type of modification any more hard than it would be if the core was coded any differently. Why? Because you would adapt the modification around the existing product you're trying to modify.

In my version, I've created a 'generator' to generate custom "codes" I can use to do validation checks on a players progress, which is then interpreted by a custom reader. The only thing which wasn't "easy" about doing it was to make it secure against user created quests.

You can probably see this in action early next year, by the way - and I'm not hijacking the thread to build suspense for my product, it was just a bi-product of explaining ;)

Depends on how intergrated you wanted the system to be with the features of the game. It's more the fact that you'd have to modify so many files and not be able to supply it as a clean packaged module. If you're doing it for one site it's very simple to do, just I dislike editing 'core' code (which all of McCodes is technically as it doesn't really have any plugin/module system).

Depends on how intergrated you wanted the system to be with the features of the game. It's more the fact that you'd have to modify so many files and not be able to supply it as a clean packaged module. If you're doing it for one site it's very simple to do, just I dislike editing 'core' code (which all of McCodes is technically as it doesn't really have any plugin/module system).

I make adjustment to 1 file only - which fetches all the required files for my system to work :)