MakeWebGames

Zend Eclipse for PHP developers

Script47

I have always been a fan of Eclipse IDE's and I thought I would point out that they also have a PHP IDE which I found just a little heads up if you didn't know already. However this thread is not about that. Today I deleted the wrong file in a project, meaning I lost quite a bit of code, I searched around and found that you can actually retrieve files back (thankfully the developers knew how clumsy people get using a keyboard & mouse). Anyway it's quite simple to do so, I will explain it as I found it to be quite a neat little feature and will help people who do this by mistake.

1. Click your project name.
  2. Then right click and scroll down and find "Restore from Local History".
  3. All the files you may have deleted I'm not sure how long ago or if it wipes each time you close Eclipse but they should be there.
  4. Tick the boxes of files you want back, then click restore. You should have them all back! :D

I have always been a fan of Eclipse IDE's and I thought I would point out that they also have a PHP IDE which I found just a little heads up if you didn't know already. However this thread is not about that. Today I deleted the wrong file in a project, meaning I lost quite a bit of code, I searched around and found that you can actually retrieve files back (thankfully the developers knew how clumsy people get using a keyboard & mouse). Anyway it's quite simple to do so, I will explain it as I found it to be quite a neat little feature and will help people who do this by mistake.

1. Click your project name.
  2. Then right click and scroll down and find "Restore from Local History".
  3. All the files you may have deleted I'm not sure how long ago or if it wipes each time you close Eclipse but they should be there.
  4. Tick the boxes of files you want back, then click restore. You should have them all back! :D

I'd suggest using some form of SCM tool (SVN, Git) to keep tracking of your work and changes. Then if you were to delete the whole project you could simply checkout the previous commit.

As Dave said, SVN is much easier however it is "dying" out, professionally speaking people are moving over to GIT to you might as well get used to that if you are working with something.

*Cough*, *cough*, SVN dying? Way not sure about that. However GIT, Mercurial, SVN, or others would be the way to go for sure.

"dying", professionally speaking, more and more companies are moving from SVN to GIT.

well... as said I'm not sure about your info. GIT does offer some advantages as well as quite some drawbacks as well.

My info? Both companys I have previously worked for are now on GIT. Want me to do a job search for you? And compare how many use GIT vs SVN?

As I say... it's dying out

I don't know where you get your information from.

But how does 46% over 38% mean its dying out?

Sure, yeah, people are trying out different repositories, but it does not mean its simply "dying out".

I for one know 3 corporations here in SA that use SVN, and have tried GIT and they will never use it again, as SVN accommodates there usage more.

Just because you worked for 2 companies that used git, does not mean its DYING OUT!

Now, to climb on the bandwaggon, we can search on google SVN vs GIT, and most people will say GIT, others will say SVN, and then the random few will just utterly not bother and suggest bazaar.

Ill put it like this:

http://svenpet.com/2013/02/21/dont-use-git/ - DONT USE GIT.

http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2011/03/09/its-time-to-stop-using-subversion/ - DONT USE SVN.

Everyone has their opinions, and for you to say its dying out, is utterly stupid.

I don't know where you get your information from.

But how does 46% over 38% mean its dying out?

Sure, yeah, people are trying out different repositories, but it does not mean its simply "dying out".

I for one know 3 corporations here in SA that use SVN, and have tried GIT and they will never use it again, as SVN accommodates there usage more.

Just because you worked for 2 companies that used git, does not mean its DYING OUT!

Now, to climb on the bandwaggon, we can search on google SVN vs GIT, and most people will say GIT, others will say SVN, and then the random few will just utterly not bother and suggest bazaar.

Ill put it like this:

http://svenpet.com/2013/02/21/dont-use-git/ - DONT USE GIT.

http://www.altdevblogaday.com/2011/03/09/its-time-to-stop-using-subversion/ - DONT USE SVN.

Everyone has their opinions, and for you to say its dying out, is utterly stupid.

I think you're getting the wrong impression. I don't mean it's completely dead, but it seems more and more companies are adopting git over SVN.

GIT was founded initially in 2005

SVN in 2000

SVN has 5 years on GIT, however due to GIT being newer is still retains a 38%, give it another 5 years as the way it's going and it will have a 60-70% market hold. According to the stats posted by AB (http://www.ohloh.net/repositories/compare), so SVN having 5 years on GIT yet only has a 8% greater hold on users.

Make sense? Would you like a graph drawn out for you to represent the decline of SVN vs GIT?

Edited by Guest

Well, another 5 years of life if that's what you think, it's still far from being dead in term of software life. Plus you know that many still use CVS? ;)

Anyhow I will definitively agree that GIT is slowly but surely growing.

I guess we can agree on that, I may have come across harsh on the dying part, however GIT is growing and will eventually take over SVN within companies... unless something catastrophic happens.