MakeWebGames

Delete User

Kyle you are too kind but I was not requesting this as a mod, however I was not asking this for to be done I was actually surprised it isn't part of the basic system and I missed it somehow. I mean in any script of membership there must be a way of totally deleting a member just as there is to let one in.

True, and I know you havent been around much but I "think" the entire concept of NWE was for 1 a little thing that berty drew up to show that there is more or can be more out there than MCC in anticipation for V3 and it was designed to be as modular as possible and to let you as the license holder to expand on it easily. He just paved the streets so its up to us "the license holders" to build the "community". So there may be some features that you would think would be a game script but its not there nor will probably be there by default. Just think of this as more of a framework that was built up a bit more than a framework.

Now I can be wrong in my interpretation of his intentions of the engine is/was but thats how I see it. So you are able to build on it as you wish as this was never supposed to be an out of the box ready to play game. And granted, some documentation may be clearer or built on in the wiki but the best resources are in the library of files itself.

If you have any questions about the engine feel free to ask and I can try to answer to the best of my ability and if I cant ill research and see what I can dig up but I think maybe this weekend ill tackle this delete user and hopefully get it uploaded to the mother ship to be downloaded.

Kyle you do great PR with NWE, at least you do know how to communicate.

I do understand what you mean and can well understand that if this was open source, but since it is paid you just expect certain basic things are there that you cannot know until you start investigating the full license.

So far my main interest is not about the bells and whistles... I have tested the features and it does what i want I have only made suggestions about the elements of control and information, the fancy features comes later when I decide to modify things. What concerns me is the lack of control over the membership, just a simple login is not enough for any membership system. Verification of Email, being able to delete a user and those things I would have thought were standard and not based on a personal preference but in this case not.

Completely deleting a user account is something not every site needs, and it's not something every (or any engine that I can think of?) has by default.

So you may wish to ask yourself (and answer for anyone willing to create the module)

Why would you want to delete a user account?

What do you mean by delete? Remove all traces (forum posts, quest history, etc...) or just the user table?

Completely deleting a user account is something not every site needs, and it's not something every (or any engine that I can think of?) has by default.

So you may wish to ask yourself (and answer for anyone willing to create the module)

Why would you want to delete a user account?

What do you mean by delete? Remove all traces (forum posts, quest history, etc...) or just the user table?

Yeah thats what I was meaning buy extra stuff. I can possible go through and delete all traces of that user except for forum threads the user has created cause that may pose an issue in the forum but I would have to see how its actually set up but then again it may do something with forum if those tables dont even get touched either. So there is a lot to look at

Thanks for your questions.

Sometimes a User wants to be completely removed from a site, it is only ethical that you do so if not even mandatory legally, in fact they should even be able to do so themselves if they want to or whatever reason.

Sure I can run a query to do this, my point here was I just thought that it was already built in NWE and I was just missing it from Admin because I did not know where to locate it.

As for what I mean by "delete" - Just delete their account from database, nothing more.

I think it will need to be a little more than that otherwise like Dom mentioned the forums, imagine what their posts would like like. Now for a clan, what if they are clan master? The clan members may be stuck without a leader. These 2 things are my only concern off the top of my head

That might be a good mod for someone - Dethrone the clan master and take over. ;)

My interest is only in simple delete because the user needs it done, I doubt at that time they would care about clans or forum posts.

However to answer, I guess deleted member messages can appear as "guest" messages and clan be left as is and Admin can appoint another *shrug*

That might be a good mod for someone - Dethrone the clan master and take over. ;)

My interest is only in simple delete because the user needs it done, I doubt at that time they would care about clans or forum posts.

However to answer, I guess deleted member messages can appear as "guest" messages and clan be left as is and Admin can appoint another *shrug*

Well I do have a mod for ingame admins to swap back and forth between clan and gives them clan master

i have delete user code you can have free, it would need converting from mccodes but its there if you want

Trust me its easier to make a mod than to convert it over to nwe cause it will be almost an entire re write anyway

***Please use at your own risk***

Ok I made a make shift one for you or anyone else that wants to use it, this version i wont upload cause I figure I can make a better one but just to show how simple it can be

config.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<configuration xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="http://www.nw-engine.com/modules.xsd">
   <module name="Delete user" version="1.0.0" author="Kylemassacre"
   type="module"
   description="Delete a user from the database"/>

</configuration>

admin_menu.php

<?php
$adminEntries[]=new MenuEntry("Delete User","Users");
?>

content.php

<?php
// Not an admin? Go away!
if (! IsSuperUser())
{
   header("Location: index.php");
   return;
}

if(isset($_POST["user"]))
{
   if(!FindUser($_POST["user"]))
   {
       ErrorMessage("That user does not exist");
       return;
   }
   else
   {
       $u = $db->LoadData("select username from users where id = ?",$_POST["user"]);
       ResultMessage(Translate("User: %s, has just been deleted!",$u["username"]));
       $result = $db->Execute("delete from users where id = ?",$_POST["user"]);
       ButtonArea();
       LinkButton("Admin Panel","index.php?p=admin_panel");
       EndButtonArea();
       return;

if(!$result)
       {
           ErrorMessage("Uh-Oh, something went wrong");
           return;
       }    
   }    
}    

TableHeader("Delete a User");
echo "<table class='plainTable'>";
echo "<form method='post' name='frmDelUser'>";
echo "<tr><td width='1%'><b>" . str_replace(" ", " ", Translate("UserName")) . ":</b></td><td>" . SmartSelection("select id,username from users where id > 2", "user") . "</td></tr>";
echo "</table>";
TableFooter();

ButtonArea();
SubmitButton("Delete","frmDelUser");
LinkButton("Cancel", "index.php?p=admin_panel");
EndButtonArea();
?>

Now just remember this is make shift and when i get some time and if there is a demand ill go ahead and try to make a better one the will wipe them clean off the game with getting rid of messages, attack logs, forum posts, user variables, and etc. And maybe add a button to the profiles for easy access whilst in the game browsing around

Edited by KyleMassacre

Beside Kyle answered basically to the reason why NWE is not a "full" game, and is instead advertised and sold to the community as "ENGINE" which means it's a framework you can build your game on it. Many things may be lacking in your point of view, and as I always said, ask and I shall see if that make sense to be added, if yes, that will be done for free.

Now that said, a delete user is not something you want to build simply by deleting the user table. You may end up with many places with ID which points to nothing and may produce bugs. Messages, Shops, Clans, Forum etc... If we want to create such module, then it should work like with other pieces inside NWE, for example with some info in the config.xml which defines which tables need to be cleaned up.

Thats exactly what I was thinking and there has got to be another way to do so without deleting the players account I just havent thought of it just yet. And the more its built on the harder it is to track what rows in tables need to be deleted. So as a disclaimer to anyone wishing to use this please use at your own risk. Cause as alain stated this could lead to bugs down the road

Then maybe for now instead of a deleted account the account can be made 'blanket' or in other words the email is removed and other stats changed by admin so it appears with none of the custom alterations the former User had and substituted with a generic one - that is really the main thing most Users are concerned with, however this approach can lead to an accumulation of dormant user accounts.

It would probably be easier to change the ban module to remove the E-mail. Removing the password would effectively block them from ever using their account again anyway. If you have a way for banned users to contest their ban then normal blocked users could ask to come back one day.

It would probably be easier to change the ban module to remove the E-mail. Removing the password would effectively block them from ever using their account again anyway. If you have a way for banned users to contest their ban then normal blocked users could ask to come back one day.

Well if they request their account to be locked then I see it as their fault. With this being said, if they do wish to play again there is a "forgot password" option which resets their password to some random string and emails it to them. So they can get their account back if they wish.

Also with my points noted above and something about username that alain said above this is a good opportunity if someone wishes to create a change username module which isnt done yet. Now with that in the air how about a preference hooked page? I was thinking of making a new preferences to upload in place of just the password change where we can hook other "preferences" as seen in other games