MakeWebGames

TBG Engine

ishmell

Before I start this thread I would like to state I know there is already a ridiculous amount of text based game engines out. Im going to be spending a decent amount of time developing my own engine in php, mysql & jquery. Im not looking to make some huge declaration out of this. Its not going to be the next big thing. It's just going to be something I created for fun and works how I want it to. Ill probably release it for free on my website incase anyone is interested on seeing my results.

Im only just beginning the development process and was wondering what are some features you would be interested in seeing? intrigue me!

Edited by ishmell

Focus less on actual game features and more on how easy it will be to add such things in the future. I'm unsure of you skill level so I don't know what you have in mind as it is.

Since it's a project for yourself, but not for you to use, I would suggest release candidates being posted at every stage for feedback. It'll help you learn, and hopefully gain some interest in others using the work once you're done.

Focus less on actual game features and more on how easy it will be to add such things in the future. I'm unsure of you skill level so I don't know what you have in mind as it is.

Since it's a project for yourself, but not for you to use, I would suggest release candidates being posted at every stage for feedback. It'll help you learn, and hopefully gain some interest in others using the work once you're done.

Thanks for the great response. I agree all these engines jump straight to making a basic game and aren't all that customizable for beginner skilled users. I think my main focus will be on the control panel giving the admin multiple different options to customize the game with minimal effort. Ill be posting more news about my development progress as I start to get results.

i think you should make a program where a beginer can choose what they want doing and the program converts it into code for them, excellent for people with little to no knowledge of coding websites, i dint know if you have the skills to develop something like this but it would definatley be an excellent money maker for the one who makes it

Mmm basically a "one button game maker" yea sure... sure... it should be near the "make me rich" button. Sorry Serin but that's kinda of utopic. Why? Because ANYTHING good requires effort. Behing music, art, book, or a game ;) So thinking that you can simply put a few checkbox and get the game you want is just plain stupid. Even if the engine supports all the features you need, you would still need to define the rules, the story, maybe the art, maybe the quests, and in any case some content. That will never come fully free, otherwise, either you have all random generated, or every game is basically the same. In both cases => not really interesting.

Mmm basically a "one button game maker" yea sure... sure... it should be near the "make me rich" button. Sorry Serin but that's kinda of utopic. Why? Because ANYTHING good requires effort. Behing music, art, book, or a game ;) So thinking that you can simply put a few checkbox and get the game you want is just plain stupid. Even if the engine supports all the features you need, you would still need to define the rules, the story, maybe the art, maybe the quests, and in any case some content. That will never come fully free, otherwise, either you have all random generated, or every game is basically the same. In both cases => not really interesting.

yeah thats true but how many people would buy it?

im not saying it would make the game good or intresting im saying that a lot of people with no knowledge or little knowledge of php and html would buy it just because 90% of the games out there are people thinking there is a 'get rich' button.

if an idiot will buy then why not make what they want?

Convert to code what? A sentence? A node based diagram? Air? sorry but be a bit more specific. For example NWE does have a wizard system inside the admin menu which let you produce conditions and actions without writing the code yourself and yet produce PHP code out of it. But is it enough to produce a mod? nope sorry... And if somebody is not willing to invest the time and effort to learn to code, then maybe he/she should do something else, right?

Convert to code what? A sentence? A node based diagram? Air? sorry but be a bit more specific. For example NWE does have a wizard system inside the admin menu which let you produce conditions and actions without writing the code yourself and yet produce PHP code out of it. But is it enough to produce a mod? nope sorry... And if somebody is not willing to invest the time and effort to learn to code, then maybe he/she should do something else, right?

The NWE wizard is what i meant, i didn't realize there was already something similar out there.

Yes if they are not willing to learn they should be doing something else, but does that stop them? of course it doesn't with mccodes offering their 'out the box game' there's thousands of people running a game with no coding experience.

i imagine a creating a wizard to such a standard it can create new mods would be a hell of a task but it would also be very popular and would make a lot of money.

Well then, try to do one ;) I doubt it's all that feasible. I doubt also there is thousands of people running a game based on McCodes yet more without coding experience.

Yes i may have exaggerated the thousands lol.

Its way beyond my knowledge of coding to create something like that's why i suggested it

Well then, try to do one ;) I doubt it's all that feasible. I doubt also there is thousands of people running a game based on McCodes yet more without coding experience.

The days where you have to be able to program to set up a website have passed. Look at wordpress for example and how much you can change without ever opening a file.

Now for what Serin seems to be suggesting (something that creates code from a description) it’s a long way off, however creating a gaming site without opening a file is not. Currently active there is mafiacreator.com, a MWG user “sim” is currently working on a similar system, and NWE itself has enough in the way of control that were there enough mods for your purpose you could probably set up a site without writing any PHP.

Although games from such things will never be as unique it’s not impossible even today.

There is a difference between customize something, and create a new logic Dom. Customize, add conditions, actions, even rules could all be done without writing a single line of code. Creating a brand new module (for example creating a forum when the engine doesn't have it) will hardly work in my opinion.

There is a difference between customize something, and create a new logic Dom. Customize, add conditions, actions, even rules could all be done without writing a single line of code. Creating a brand new module (for example creating a forum when the engine doesn't have it) will hardly work in my opinion.

I did say it was some way off, but using a Framework you can already cut it down by skipping writing main logic. Unless I'm mistaken don't sites like 1&1.com already allow you to create a HTML page from tools? Dreamweaver for that matter allows you to do so. It's not that big of a step to add in the very basics of a dynamic page. I doubt anything large will ever be able to be produced this way, but still useful to someone out there.

It would be complicated to make but I wouldn't' say impossible. A program that has a base code for a game which is altered through different options and extracted into a zip archive with the final results for people to upload to there servers could work. Maybe with a visual php scripting kit. Unfortunately its not something im that interested in making. Plus that kind of game management can also be created for the engines control panel. That way your not having to always go back and redo everything in the program whenever you want something changed.

On second thought: Even with a visual scripting kit you would have to understand the process of how php works

Edited by ishmell

I agree @ishmell but it definetly isn't worth it. You would have to sell the script for a ton of money cause once one person uses it, he can just sell copies of his game or mod and make money and then the script is basicly useless after that =]