MakeWebGames

hello.

dj_overspin

My name is Jaromie, also known as DJ Overspin in my local area. I've been brought here by someone I'm not going to disclose till further notice. Don't know why, but ok.

I got brought here cause this guy sold me his old website and server for a good price, but I don't know anything about coding a game, or anything. I didn't want a game, but I wanted a good server with a good domain to use for my custom mixes. But oh well, I got this, and it's the best I can get till I get my new domain. I'm planning on getting one called djoverspinproductions.com, and when I get it, I'll have it up on this server, but need someone to help me out someday.

Anyways. I wanna know more about learning all coding for me to earn a couple extra bucks, and at least keep the server I bought alive and keep my main site up. Can someone help me out?

First of all, Welcome.

Im sure there are a bit of people here that can help you out if your a bit more specific with what you actually want to do. Do you plan on running a game as well as a personal site for your tunes? If your looking for stuff for your personal site there are tons of software available that are free for download like blogs for example wordpress, forums like smf.

A lot of those require 0 skill set in php or other languages as a lot of them offer plugins you can just download and install

well, I don't like using blogs, since I used to run one with an old company about 7 years ago so I just want a music kind of site for me to sell my custom mixes for $1 if just my creation, or free if I used other songs to create something better.

For the other part, I would like it if it was a game, so it actually serves a purpose. Just any kind of game.... can't disclose any more info about some stuff.... again, don't know why.

Well wordpress started out as a blog and "arguably" its evolved into more like a cms. For a musician site I would recommend something along the lines of that since it is actively developed where you can get a shopping cart for digital downloads and plus you can "blog" about upcoming stuff like maybe a club you may be at or whatever have you.

Just remember these are my opinions that "I" think would work for what I am envisioning here with little to run with. And if your looking for game stuff, as the name implies you have come to the right place :).

Are you using any type of gaming engine, or you looking for one?

well, the domain on it was meant for a game, but would like to turn it into a game, as well as advertising my new company "DJ Overspin Productions", as long as it brings in profits. I would have someone who wants to build one and split profits from the game to keep the server running. It's just I can't do anything like make good graphics, and do any kind of coding, and would like to learn on the time that I don't have to work to many jobs and DJ just about every night.

well, the domain on it was meant for a game, but would like to turn it into a game, as well as advertising my new company "DJ Overspin Productions", as long as it brings in profits. I would have someone who wants to build one and split profits from the game to keep the server running. It's just I can't do anything like make good graphics, and do any kind of coding, and would like to learn on the time that I don't have to work to many jobs and DJ just about every night.

Look at the server logs, see how much of it you are actually using. If you can downgrade server, then do so - save some pennies :)

With New Worlds Engine (dubbed NWE) you don't need to know programming, as it has a module installer/uninstaller. I'd advise checking that out :)

Also, welcome to MakeWebGames

well I bought a server for $100 that is auto paid with a domain that has been registered for a long time. I don't have enough time to merge the domain into my name, and also create a new domain yet. The server I have has 100GB of data with unlimited bandwidth. I'm not buying anyone's backups, plus don't even like the game codes this person has on the servers. I am deleting it cause it's stupid.

but yeah, my intent is not to sell coding that I don't even know, or buy something from them if it is from some random person I met a few weeks ago to use his codes. my intent was to have my own server that I can use to promote my own company that I just created, but don't have a domain yet. I plan on getting one maybe this weekend when I get my day off.

Look at the server logs, see how much of it you are actually using. If you can downgrade server, then do so - save some pennies :)

With New Worlds Engine (dubbed NWE) you don't need to know programming, as it has a module installer/uninstaller. I'd advise checking that out :)

Also, welcome to MakeWebGames

idk what server logs I can find, but I just listed what I got on the server to my knowledge. I don't think there's a way to downgrade or upgrade, and kind of new to this. I'll check that out and see how it looks. and thanks.

Well, ill be honest. Its not very good especially if you are aiming to get cliental. I think you should have went with more of a cms or blog approach since judging by your site and the links

you are adding it will pretty much do all that for you and most of the time they offer some pretty decent free templates that you just install. I think that would look a bit better.

Well, I don't want a blog or a forum type deal. I want just a website showing events, checking pics, a link to my Facebook page, get news updates or special events, promotions, and at least a page for clients to go to, and request a date and what not, and be able to schedule days for me to come out here in middle Georgia. I'll do events in south Carolina, Alabama, Florida, and Tennessee. I did a few special events in Florida, and did one in north Carolina. I dont want just a website where people can just post what ever. I will have a contact page if someone wants to ask me a question, and will have a page for requesting a quote. excuse any misspelling. I'm using my windows phone while out at the club, hanging with my DJ buds.

Anyways, you know what I'm talking about?

I just looked around. almost all DJ's don't have blogs or forums. Just like this DJ's website for example http://www.djskd.com/. He doesn't have comment sections, no blogs, no forums, just a site that shows what events he went to, his music, contact page, and he also have a facebook page. I have a facebook page and will have one of those facebook posts on my site so let people know what I'm up to. Also, my buddy DJ Madscratch that does do club here in central Georgia, has a website http://nastyscratchrecords.com/, and he has music up for sale that he has mixed. Just a lot of them are techno.

CMS is still useful for an 'events' and stuff site.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum, dj_overspin.

Exactly what I have been trying to say. With a cms or blogging software you dont have to use the comments section cause im pretty sure you can disable any comments. And these softwares have pretty much all you are asking for or need and it will help keep everything nice and tighty. You need a portfolio of some sort where you can add pics of you mixing it up or a video? Well your in luck be cause they offer that stuff with no coding experience needed. You need a contact form where a venue can request your presence? They have that too. Anything you can need for a simple business venture like you are after can be done with ease and relatively cheap unless you wanted to pay someone to create you a system that does only what you want and nothing else but you are looking at around $500+ bucks for a custom script

But I already have a blog, and it's facebook. I just want a main site that shows scheduled events, a page with just music, contact page, request an event, and stuff about me. blogs just don't work out for me as much as they did in the past, but when facebook came along, it comes with friends who want to talk to you with live chat, getting my latest status updates, and so on and so forth. these other DJ's that do have a websites don't have blogs or forums. They have a website talking about the DJ, their events, download section for music, and what not.

Also, thanks.

They are using cms which is almost the same as a blog. I just dont think you are picking up what im putting down here.

Why use a blog/cms like wordpress etc?

IT HAS ALL THE FEATURES YOU WANT!

I am just using wordpress as an example cause as I have stated before that it has evolved from a "blog" system into a more versatile system. There are other cms systems you can use but do you have to use it as a blog? NO! Look at fellow mwg'er Arson, he turned wordpress into a topsite. You make what is offered to you FREE into what you want. Im not suggesting you to blog your life story in it or anything like that but it will give you a more "professional" looking personal site than what you currently have.

Or go with option B and pay someone lets just lowball it and say $200 to make you a contact form and something to put some "events" in. To me that is economically illogical. Anything under $200 your getting what you pay for so be warned.

Kyle Out!!!