MakeWebGames

Using CodeIgniter or similar to build a web game?

SwiftLeeO

It's not a bad idea. Just check what are exactly the performances hit with it compared to none and how much it will bring you. Keep in mind, more code in PHP (to load even if not executed) means slower to run. At least if you don't use bytecode caching for example with APC. Now many frameworks offer also caching in form some or a complete page on the server, and therefore not executing your whole script each time.

I would personally check multiple frameworks and see, based on what I want to do, which one fit my requirements better. There is currently many frameworks offering different features like ORB, MVC or yet other design patterns ready to be used.

CodeIgniter is fine, you can create great applications in it, the problem is that is keeps being comptaible with the API that it stuck with development, it misses great features because its still compatible with PHP 5.2.

As a framework what would you say it's missing because of this?

As a framework what would you say it's missing because of this?

It's avoiding the new awesome PHP-FIG which is trying to give PHP some sort of standards, such as PSR-0, Auto-loading, which would lead to making libraries/frameworks as compatible as possible. Take a look at composer, soon (and already) you'll be able to use libraries provided by ZF in Laravel, or Symfony in ZF. It brings code together and lets everyone focus on what part it does better, because in the end we can couple it all together. This meaning, it misses out on Namespaces in 5.3.

I prefer laravel - clean and classy.

You can use any you like though, it all depends on personal preference and performance / security.

I'm quite curious on the benefits/disadvantages of using one or the other, any thoughts? ( maybe new thread )

Is it a good idea:

Depends, and it all relates to whether you need or even want, all that is provided with frameworks such as CodeIgniter or Lavarel.

I guess you could strip out what you don't want, or you could start from nothing and work your way up (even using parts of such frameworks if need be).

Is there anything you need to know: See 'Is it a good idea'

I'm quite curious on the benefits/disadvantages of using one or the other, any thoughts? ( maybe new thread )

Is it a good idea:

Depends, and it all relates to whether you need or even want, all that is provided with frameworks such as CodeIgniter or Lavarel.

I guess you could strip out what you don't want, or you could start from nothing and work your way up (even using parts of such frameworks if need be).

Is there anything you need to know: See 'Is it a good idea'

That's the epic thing with Laravel 4, it does not provide you with a full-featured framework, it lets you decide what you need to use, by using composer which allows it to happen. Laravel 4 isn't packaged with many stuffs, but it utilities whats already does it best, i.e. Symfony Request/Response component rocks, Laravel uses it. In baby steps, laravel is just a tiny powerful boilerplate which you basically can use any library on.

That's the epic thing with Laravel 4, it does not provide you with a full-featured framework, it lets you decide what you need to use, by using composer which allows it to happen. Laravel 4 isn't packaged with many stuffs, but it utilities whats already does it best, i.e. Symfony Request/Response component rocks, Laravel uses it. In baby steps, laravel is just a tiny powerful boilerplate which you basically can use any library on.

I've been seeing a lot about Laravel, although the last time I looked at it was judging from the 4, a couple of versions ago.

Looks like I may have to take another look.

I've been seeing a lot about Laravel, although the last time I looked at it was judging from the 4, a couple of versions ago.

Looks like I may have to take another look.

Laravel 4 is in development, you can download from there github. Its the most stable release.

Its also 20% faster than CodeIgniter 3.

• Like 1