MakeWebGames

Selling a modified EzRPG as a script?

Galahad

Basically if you have seen my other post, i have created a image script that can allow you to submit images to the website by using the EzRPG engine.

Now I'm wondering if its possible to sell it as a script for say $10-$20 each. EzRPG has been released under GNU GPL v3 but I have no idea what that means. I'm no good with licenses but ill be sure to read up on some of them though sometime.

I had a quick google and i've seen a few posts saying that i can sell the script if it is under the terms of GNU GPL. Can anybody confirm this? thanks

No, you can not.

Any changes based upon ezRPG has to be released under GPL.

Edit: if this weren't the case, I would have long since released my changes/additions to ezRPG under the BSD 3-clause license.

The basic philosophy of the GNU GPL is that once somethings GPL, it's always GPL.

You may however, ask permission from the copyright holder to release "some" changes under a different license.

There is a vague clause though, that states that if you extend upon it, you are the copyright holder of "that" content.

It's a little complicated, but I think that if your "changes"/additions does not use anything from ezRPG, you are entirely entitled to license it under whatever you want to.

You are just not permitted to "use" any part of the application within the product that you sell.

You are of course able to sell any mod scripts as you see fit.

So in the case of your image script you can sell that with instructions on how to integrate it with the engine.

If I read it correctly it states that you can sell a modified version but that must be made available to all parties. IE if Zeggy came along and asked for it then you would have to supply it to him.

Also as its GPL then there is nothing stopping someone who buys it then making it available free of charge.

Edited by rulerofzu
edit

Ive just read the FAQ and it says:

If I use a piece of software that has been obtained under the GNU GPL, am I allowed to modify the original code into a new program, then distribute and sell that new program commercially?

You are allowed to sell copies of the modified program commercially, but only under the terms of the GNU GPL. Thus, for instance, you must make the source code available to the users of the program as described in the GPL, and they must be allowed to redistribute and modify it as described in the GPL.

Surely that means i can sell it?

Does the GPL allow me to sell copies of the program for money? (#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney)Yes, the GPL allows everyone to do this. The right to sell copies is part of the definition of free software. Except in one special situation, there is no limit on what price you can charge. (The one exception is the required written offer to provide source code that must accompany binary-only release.)

Does the GPL allow me to charge a fee for downloading the program from my site?Yes. You can charge any fee you wish for distributing a copy of the program. If you distribute binaries by download, you must provide “equivalent access” to download the source—therefore, the fee to download source may not be greater than the fee to download the binary.

Does the GPL allow me to require that anyone who receives the software must pay me a fee and/or notify me? (#DoesTheGPLAllowRequireFee)No. In fact, a requirement like that would make the program non-free. If people have to pay when they get a copy of a program, or if they have to notify anyone in particular, then the program is not free. See the definition of free software.

The GPL is a free software license, and therefore it permits people to use and even redistribute the software without being required to pay anyone a fee for doing so.

If I distribute GPL'd software for a fee, am I required to also make it available to the public without a charge? (#DoesTheGPLRequireAvailabilityToPublic)No. However, if someone pays your fee and gets a copy, the GPL gives them the freedom to release it to the public, with or without a fee. For example, someone could pay your fee, and then put her copy on a web site for the general public.

The GPL is a free software license, and therefore it permits people to use and even redistribute the software without being required to pay anyone a fee for doing so.

If I distribute GPL'd software for a fee, am I required to also make it available to the public without a charge? (#DoesTheGPLRequireAvailabilityToPublic)No. However, if someone pays your fee and gets a copy, the GPL gives them the freedom to release it to the public, with or without a fee. For example, someone could pay your fee, and then put her copy on a web site for the general public.

So this means i can sell the script but the buyer then has the right to give it away for free or do whatever they want with it?

Does the GPL allow me to sell copies of the program for money? (#DoesTheGPLAllowMoney)Yes, the GPL allows everyone to do this. The right to sell copies is part of the definition of free software. Except in one special situation, there is no limit on what price you can charge. (The one exception is the required written offer to provide source code that must accompany binary-only release.)

Does the GPL allow me to charge a fee for downloading the program from my site?Yes. You can charge any fee you wish for distributing a copy of the program. If you distribute binaries by download, you must provide “equivalent access” to download the source—therefore, the fee to download source may not be greater than the fee to download the binary.

Does the GPL allow me to require that anyone who receives the software must pay me a fee and/or notify me? (#DoesTheGPLAllowRequireFee)No. In fact, a requirement like that would make the program non-free. If people have to pay when they get a copy of a program, or if they have to notify anyone in particular, then the program is not free. See the definition of free software.

This is downright fucked up.

I must have read it miss somewhere, but most devs(including me) thought the GPL was a "free" license, not a fucking "freeware".

Edit: I think you guys are looking at the wrong place...

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/79726/gpl-confusion-can-i-sell-a-product-with-gpl-covered-components-without-making-t

Edited by Spudinski

Well idk never had to deal with it...what I posted there was from the gnu site for GPL v2 ezRPG is under GPL v3 (just checked) I dont really care enough to read through it all however if you scroll right to the bottom for GPL v3 click on the common questions link it takes you to the page which I quoted the above.

Personally regardless what is stated elsewhere thats the site where the licence originates from so I would follow whats stated there.

GPL allows to charge for a package like you pay for a Redhat enterprise which is based mostly on GPL software. Yet, there is a catch, you must provide free access to the sources as well, that's how Cent-OS is made=> Redhat enterprise recompiled and repacked => Cent-OS as well as other distributions.

So are you allowed to sell your software bases on ezRPG? Yes, but people should have a way to get a free copy of the sources as well without the need of paying anything. Are people allowed to re-distribute your code as well? Yes, and actually even charge again for a copy as long as they keep the same copyright and license => free access to the sources.

GPL allows to charge for a package like you pay for a Redhat enterprise which is based mostly on GPL software. Yet, there is a catch, you must provide free access to the sources as well, that's how Cent-OS is made=> Redhat enterprise recompiled and repacked => Cent-OS as well as other distributions.

So are you allowed to sell your software bases on ezRPG? Yes, but people should have a way to get a free copy of the sources as well without the need of paying anything. Are people allowed to re-distribute your code as well? Yes, and actually even charge again for a copy as long as they keep the same copyright and license => free access to the sources.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Basically what I aim to to is sort of do a "forced" donation (obviously it wont be much) to the script then they can do whatever they want to it (share it for free or whatever) then I can sell add-ons that I have created myself for it.