MakeWebGames

[in progress] Tutorial for converting a mc codes 2.0.x mod to NWE

rulerofzu

I am working on a tutorial for conversion of mcc mods to nwe.

Alain has provided me with the nuts and bolts and I will be completing a conversion so I know it inside out and will then write up what you need to change step by step to convert a modification from mcc 2.0.x to nwe.

As yet due to many other work commitments I cannot give a date when this will be completed but ill try and get it done as soon as possible.

I think this will be great since I just have the free version. I snooped around to check stuff out but as a mc guy its way different and will take a bit to get used to. But kudos for taking the time since I like this engine but a little scared to use it since its built very nicely from what a rookie like myself can tell

Sweet, I'd have thought you'd be way to lazy to do something like this. :p

Looking forward to it, quite interested in the amount of time needed to invest in such, considering one must first learn the 'system' to make the most out of the 'helpers' NWE provides.

Difficulty level: it all depends on the mod type. Some easy, some impractical.

I could write a NWE mod to v2 tutorial right now, wouldnt take long. That's not exactly rocket science.

Instead of getting worked up over nothing; my recomendation would be sticking with the engine which the mod is specialized for. Only if the engine is a worthy enough platform which a game can be based of. You will save significant amount of overhead costs of working with 2 differently scripted PHP files and SQL.

Regards.

Difficulty level: it all depends on the mod type. Some easy, some impractical.

I could write a NWE mod to v2 tutorial right now, wouldnt take long. That's not exactly rocket science.

Instead of getting worked up over nothing; my recomendation would be sticking with the engine which the mod is specialized for. Only if the engine is a worthy enough platform which a game can be based of. You will save significant amount of overhead costs of working with 2 differently scripted PHP files and SQL.

Regards.

I am writing a v2 mcc to NWE.

Its PHP not rocket science as you have stated so yes easily done specialized conversion would be say a completely different programming language to PHP.

NWE is a very worthy platform which has potential so a cross engine tutorial is a good idea for the growing NWE community.

As for getting worked up. Didnt know anyone was well perhaps except yourself!

Overheads what overheads? you wont be using 2 different php script files and sql this will be a full conversion tutorial. So it will be 100% NWE based.

CB: I didn't created a compatibility layer for McCodes mods, don't worry ;) so I don't see the overhead here....

I personally like the idea of RoZ, as it may show to others how to work with a different engine. Doesn't matter then if they will use NWE or not, what's important is to show it's possible to do things differently and learn from it.

For the worthy platform, others shall answer.

CB: I didn't created a compatibility layer for McCodes mods, don't worry ;) so I don't see the overhead here....

I personally like the idea of RoZ, as it may show to others how to work with a different engine. Doesn't matter then if they will use NWE or not, what's important is to show it's possible to do things differently and learn from it.

For the worthy platform, others shall answer.

I completely agree here. I have the free version and its a pretty nifty engine you got here and I am hoping Zu releases this tut pretty quick cause I do love to learn about how others work but frankly I cant teach myself I need to be shown how this stuff works.

Its like me going to php.net and I hate when people use that here cause its not written in a language in understand :p

That was exactly the point Alain.

Mccodes, GL, Grpg is basic PHP. Which is why many find it easy to use. They have a small learning curve and then can basically repeat for anything throughout the engine.

When it comes to ezRPG, horizons (rip) and NWE people that have not continued to try and develop their skills in programming find it confusing and difficult to understand and whilst they would like to use it dont feel they can so dont.

This tutorial will aid them in understanding and is provided as a resource. I could have chosen GL or Grpg instead but they simply do not have the numbers to make it worth my while in writing the tutorial I am a busy person.