MakeWebGames

idiots failing to hack my site

Raven1992

Please don't post people's Ip's without some kind of evidence. Blocking an IP is not a solid way to stop attacks in any case (since most are dynamic or people can proxy), but it's not a good idea to post them like this.

Second text speech is annoying, but I guess people will be able to read it. Spelling wrong, and missing letters is just bad typing. If English is your first language, and you really are twenty, consider reading some of your posts through before posting them. It just looks bad. I genuinely thought English was a third language for you or something along those lines.

Oh cmon now I have a ten year old and thats insulting to him!!

lol, good point, and do you really? How old are you?!

and i 20 not 10 i jus type differntly

and i 20.

-something a 4 year old would say.

differntly

-wat.

Edited by booher

Please don't post people's Ip's without some kind of evidence. Blocking an IP is not a solid way to stop attacks in any case (since most are dynamic or people can proxy), but it's not a good idea to post them like this.

Second text speech is annoying, but I guess people will be able to read it. Spelling wrong, and missing letters is just bad typing. If English is your first language, and you really are twenty, consider reading some of your posts through before posting them. It just looks bad. I genuinely thought English was a third language for you or something along those lines.

I agree with you on the spelling, but in an attempt to educate people, here's my thought on IP-address based blocking.

It simply does not work.

So what *is* the best approach when IP-based authentication is needed? The exact opposite; a white-list.

There are always going to be a whole bunch more bad people out there than there are good, and if you run a small sized environment, it's the best way to go.

I always set up my firewall on public facing servers to allow a specific subnet, but this may not be completely viable for you. If your ISP is country wide and assigns IP addresses at absolute random, a DNS approach is more viable.

There are a few DNS services that will allow you to set up a domain to your router directly. All that will be required is for you to run a script every hour or so, to let them know what your current public IP is.

On a "on topic" note, this thread is childish.