MakeWebGames

Can someone teach me how to code? :)

Razor42

Hello, I was just wondering if someone had any spare time to teach me how to code? I currently have skills in HTML,CSS & basic. JavaScript. The languages I'm looking to learn are PHP, MySql,Jquery and also finish full learning JavaScript :)

PM me if you'd be interested in helping me out.

Thanks,

Razor.

Check this out:

http://makewebgames.io/showthread.php/41070-Helpful-Links

Nobody will be able to teach you how to learn just via chat, you will need a book, or a site, and lots of time to invest. If you never coded (HTML / CSS are not programming language), it may require quiet some time before you grab the first basis. So count maybe a year or so and you shall be able to do something by your own.

If you are like me, and learn by doing, you should try fiddling around with an already made script.

I taught myself how to code when I got my hands on one of the first few copies of mccodes in existence.

While it was a bit messy, it got the job done. They have since cleaned up the code quite a bit (believe it or not).

I downloaded this: WampServer, went through the fairly simple setup procedure and was on my way to learning PHP and MySQL.

If you don't have any script in mind, I would recommend downloading something simple like MCCodes Lite. It gives you a nice basic platform for you to mess around with different functions and see what they actually do.

At first it seems kind of complicated but once you catch your bearings and start learning what things do, you start to catch on more and more.

If you see a function and you have no idea what it does, (not including the functions from the script, I mean actual PHP global functions), check out PHP.net, and just search the function name.

They have detailed descriptions on how to use each function as well as usually a good number of examples so you can see them in action.

I recommend gettting a free game engine and browsing through a small script to see what makes what work and how then try adding to it or editing it to make it do something else. going to websites that help you are fine but you need some sort of understanding to begin with and the best approach i feel is hands on...

I don't recommend online "tutorials". They are biased and doesn't offer much of an explanation of what is happening.

I'd suggest you attempt an HTML book. Or a mixed one, like DHTML which would contain basics on HTML, CSS and Javascript.

Once you know the language of the internet, get a book on PHP and preferably also a book on how the internet works, DNS, TCP/IP, etc.

PHP is a very nitty gritty language compared to say Ruby, as you are dealing much more with the raw elements of the web(eg. protocols).

For all you needs on books I would recommend O'Reilly, just don't get "in a Nutshell" editions, they won't help you much.

If you can find what you need on O'Reilly, search Amazon, and read the reviews before you decide on a book.

PS. W3Schools ~ W3Fools. kthanksbye.

I recommend gettting a free game engine and browsing through a small script to see what makes what work and how then try adding to it or editing it to make it do something else. going to websites that help you are fine but you need some sort of understanding to begin with and the best approach i feel is hands on...

i agree with illusions idea because thats the way i learned coding.Thanx to mccodes coz bcoz of mccodes i learned basics of php