MakeWebGames

WebSpaceLand

sniko

I am posting this for WebSpaceLand. I am not affiliated with them. Any queries, please contact them.

Looking for cheap & affordable shared website hosting? Look no further

The servers are based in Dallas, Texas.

The service(Web Space Land) has just been formed but it is running off fast and reliable servers!

Don't hesitate to check out: http://www.webspaceland.co.uk

Packages:

Basic

- Web Space: 5 GB

- Bandwidth: 5 GB

- MySQL Databases: 5

- FTP Accounts: 5

- Email Accounts: 5

- Subdomains: 5

- Addon Domains: 0

- Control Panel: cPanel

Only £2.00 Per Month.

------------------------

Advanced

- Web Space: 10 GB

- Bandwidth: 10 GB

- MySQL Databases: 10

- FTP Accounts: 10

- Email Accounts: 10

- Subdomains: 10

- Addon Domains: 2

Only £4.00 Per Month.

------------------------

Business

- Web Space: 20 GB

- Bandwidth: 20 GB

- MySQL Databases: 20

- FTP Accounts: 10

- Email Accounts: 5

- Subdomains: 20

- Addon Domains: 4

Only £6.00 Per Month.

------------------------

Professional

- Web Space: Unmetered

- Bandwidth: Unmetered

- MySQL Databases: Unmetered

- FTP Accounts: Unmetered

- Email Accounts: Unmetered

- Subdomains: Unmetered

- Addon Domains: 6

Only £8.00 Per Month.

28gxo20.png

Edited by sniko

I probably shouldn't post on here but hey.

If they're on servers located in Texas, why on earth are they (I'm presuming here) a company based in (or targeting customers in) the UK? Surely one would go for a DC located in the UK.

If they're after American customers (makes sense to have their servers located in the US) they should then change the domain and at least make the primary currency dollars.

Makes sense to me, not sure about anyone else. :|

I probably shouldn't post on here but hey.If they're on servers located in Texas, why on earth are they (I'm presuming here) a company based in (or targeting customers in) the UK? Surely one would go for a DC located in the UK.If they're after American customers (makes sense to have their servers located in the US) they should then change the domain and at least make the primary currency dollars. Makes sense to me, not sure about anyone else. :|

It's cheaper.

Why: maintenance is limited, if any, and thus the costs of running it somewhere else is much cheaper for them.

Setting up(and running) your own hosting company with local hardware is frustrating, and can cost a lot for a small-medium sized company.It's not just as simple as getting a machine an plugging a cable into a NIC, you have to:

• Get a line, not just any ordinary line. A T1 at least, or I've seen implementations where multiple standard lines are multiplexed(costs are debatable, over a commercial line).
  • Hardware, and good luck running a hosting company on just a few machines. You'd actually have to get a (few) decent server capable of handling the data throughput, such as Sun(I hate oracle) or IBM.
  • Data centre aspects, cooling for one, is not cheap and keeping the servers cool is a very daunting task. And then geography: I don't know if people here have ever heard a Sun server running, but it's not something pleasant to listen to. You're average backyard won't do, you'll need to get a location that is suitable for a data centre(have fun looking).
  • Network, no, your average Linksys router won't do. You'll need a decent router, in the lines of Cisco medium-enterprise.
  • Other things, like server and network setup, dealing with hardware issues, IDSs, firewalls, etc... Not as easy as one would think it to be.

Now, compare those costs, over having " a few machines somewhere over in the US".

Edited by Spudinski

He said "they would look for a datacenter located in the UK".

Spud, you are not going to tell that there isn't a single DC somewhere in the UK, that's just bollocks. There are more than you probably think, if you say this. There are loads all over Europe. As for the noise and cooling, such servers are located in optimized buildings. It's not like they are your 1800s steam powered locomotive. I'm quite sure that I can find 10 DC's in a rather small radius (+-25km) around me.

He said "they would look for a datacenter located in the UK".

Spud, you are not going to tell that there isn't a single DC somewhere in the UK, that's just bollocks. There are more than you probably think, if you say this. There are loads all over Europe. As for the noise and cooling, such servers are located in optimized buildings. It's not like they are your 1800s steam powered locomotive. I'm quite sure that I can find 10 DC's in a rather small radius (+-25km) around me.

I didn't mention Europe... I was using US in a broad sense, It could be any country.

I just gave reasons why people prefer not to run a host with local hardware.

Though, I'd love to take you up on that offer of finding 10 decent DCs within a 25km radius of where you live.

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_center#Requirements_for_modern_data_centers

Edited by Spudinski