MakeWebGames

Recent 'MSN' posts

Nickson

Recently a lot of posts containing the message "Add me on MSN/IM-client <[email protected]>" are being posted. I have to wonder who actually came up with this idea, but by moving conversations to MSN, everything moves away from MWG and thus away from our view. We can not warn you for malicious users, or bogus offers. If thread starters would create a thread with enough information, they only need to to explain themselves once, users might be able to direct you instantly to something very simular, or you might get a whole lot more responses and maybe save a few bucks.

Aside from this, it gives a broad overview of who replies on what and what prices might be acceptable and what not. It will be easier for the client to select their provider.

If, by any chance, the client hasn't provided enough information, or something isn't clear, just ask it on the forums. Don't be afraid to ask something, everyone benefits from a question that has been answered! Do you not feel comfortable with giving a price in public? Then you can still take it to PM.

Call to requesters

Stay away from MSN with your request and use the forum, what happens on mwg is what we can help with.

Note:

We do NOT mind users using different ways of communicating with each other. Everyone is free to do so. I personally prefer IRC just like a few other members do. With previous scam offers, we had proof as everyone can see what a user posts, but on msn, no one can warn you for anything... just a heads up.

Warning:

We can not tolerate these kind of posts anymore and thus, they will be deleted on sight as they are pointless to the community.

You are still free with providing your contact information via PM. Also, we will not monitor PM, a PM is private and we would like to keep it that way. We will only look at PM when the PM or the user has been reported.

Our current goal is to move away from the posts that only contain the "add me to msn" phrase. There is nothing wrong with using an alternative way of communication outside of these forums. We will not prohibit an alternative way of communicating in any way. Contact information can also be shared via your profile.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
You're even discussing this? Everyone has the right to communicate how they wish and this thread was a stupid idea since no forum in the world, ever, has the right to tell you communication has to stay in this board.

Now, a warning to say if you take it outside of the board would be welcomed, but saying to stay here? Fuck no!

You're still able to take it off board, and even able to send a PM with your msn, but posts that say "add me on msn" are simply annoying.

Staying on the forum is simply a recommendation.

Edited by Dominion

Here's my input of how I see communication on MWG:

If you have a problem with what someone says in a thread, do not post it as it will be deleted - use the ignore feature.

If someone tells you they have a problem with you, depending on how good an ass kisser you are - use the ignore feature.

If you want to ask someone something, use the PM feature to request an alternative method of contact.

If someone want to ask you something, redirect them to your contact details via PM.

And finally....

If you want to talk gibberish, use the "Post" feature.

Sigh, sometimes one wonders what's good enough as you'll never be able to please everyone while this is, in fact,very easy. I'll explain it again.

Posts with "add me [email protected]" will be deleted. It's not a discussion, this is a clarification. Communicate privately securely however you wish, we don't really care how or where, but when a thread has 10 replies with an "add me [email protected]" it is a worthless thread to anyone else who's reading it. The scammers around make enough use of these email addresses to scam people, the boards are publicly readable by ANYONE, it's not very hard to add someone to an msn account and try to sell you some illegal or broken mods. By not allowing these kind of posts we already reduce the amount of scamming a little bit. I'm fully aware that it doesn't stop people from getting scammed at all, so you don't have to point that out, but at least we're trying to do something.

If you wish to use an alternative way of communication, you are free to do so, no one is holding you back, we're not limiting you. We make use of IRC networks ourself, IMs and what not.

It's sad though, that one cannot see the difference between what's being posted in this thread and what you are making of it. If you can't agree with a simple thing like this, which doesn't limit anyone to anything, you are free to leave the forums and move on to greener grounds. You are free to use the forums, but you will do this within the guidelines of the forum, which is rather obvious no?

@SRB: read post #1 & #3, I know you can! I believe in you ;)

@Spud: You should receive your own usertitle...

• 3 weeks later...

I use MSN regularly to keep in touch with my clients.

I appreciate your concern for people getting scammed, but it is quite unfair to tell people that basically someone using MSN is trying to scam them.

Some of us just aren't patient enough for non-instantaneous means of communication...Personally I don't have time to come on here and go back and forth refreshing tabs to keep up with conversations while I'm trying to code something for a client.

I know you said you are just mad about people posting "add me to msn" in threads, thats one thing...but to tell people they are going to get scammed if they use MSN is a low blow to us legitimate service providers and has nothing to do with the supposed reason for this thread.

Cmon its quite clear what Nickson meant by this I really dont see the need for continued discussion on it.

If you wish to nitpick and put more into it then by all means do so.

However I would like to point out that Nickson's point is well proven. Even AFTER this thread was started Skooda among others was scamming others....where was they doing it....MSN.

@arson

Where do I say that a person that uses an IM client will scam you? I think you're reading more than what I posted. We're not forbidding anyone anything but to make these ridiculous posts.. and that's it. If you wish to keep in touch with your clients via an IM, please do. I do it too, but there is a huge difference between keeping in touch with someone and adding 10 random persons to msn for a small job where you'll pick one in the hopes they'll do what they say they do. It's somewhat a risky and shady business. I'm not going into detail once more, I think I have made my point clear in my previous posts. You're still free to ask any questions you might have regarding this topic.

So please, read the topic through clearly before making a post that's totally unrelated to the issue.

@nickson

In your first post you talk about how you could get scammed if you use MSN and not MWG.

At least that was my take on it. You said to stay away from MSN. How am I supposed to take that?

Don't sit there and tell me all you talked about was the crappy, "Add me to MSN" posts when its right there in front of my eyes and everyone else's to see in your OP...

But don't get me wrong, I agree with the fact that those types of replies are useless.

Not so much the part about keeping your business on MWG being a good way to avoid being scammed.

The only way to avoid being scammed is to be smart and check out who you are working with before you send them any money.

That is where MWG comes in, check the forums, and see what others think of the person. Check out their work and make sure they are even qualified to do the task you are requesting.

Edited by Arson

Arson,

Please read everything like how I posted it. Could is not the same as will. And MWG is not safer than MSN in theory. However, I'm glad you give the answer in your own reply.

I quote

The only way to avoid being scammed is to be smart and check out who you are working with before you send them any money.

That is where MWG comes in, check the forums, and see what others think of the person. Check out their work and make sure they are even qualified to do the task you are requesting.

If the OP makes a post with "I have a job, add me on [email protected]" and everyone else replies with "added" or "[email protected]", then there is not a lot of worth to check on MWG is there? Or when people rather make deals via shady IM convos with people that have randomly added you, there isn't much of protection either, right? They can just tell you what they want without anyone being able to correct them. And I do think the forums here are an excellent example of that.

If people are not bothered to outline their job, how are people supposed to know on beforehand what they'll have to do? I, for instance, am not interested in graphic design. How will the people that do not use MSN/IM make a chance on the job, while they may have the best solution available? How can other members warn someone for bogus offers? It's for a lot of reasons that we ask to give information in your job request. We have never forced you to make a deal on the forums in public where everyone could see it, nor have we forced anyone to post the full job details, and we never will. It's easy enough to specify some details about your job offer, like the engine they should work with, the timeframe, whether some process has been made already, maybe a budget, and you can still leave an email addy where the OP can be contacted on. As replier you can then do whatever you wish, except make such a ridiculous post with the sole contents "added". The OP can still reply with "job filled".

I'm glad you use your head before you make reply...

Oh and, you better edit that post again, before I do notice what you did and point you to some strict rules.(2.1.1/1.4) ;)

This all got blown way out of proportion.

I am simply saying that whether or not you use MSN you can still get scammed.

You have to keep a level head about you no matter how you're communicating.

I mean no disrespect my good friend.

Edited by Arson

Well let me just say I cant stand msn ;) I prefer gtalk but you can get scammed anywhere even in person but I think this is a great place to start is in the forums then after you feel comfy with the dude/dudette then you can take it some where else for immediate responses but those convos I dont think should be much more than "hey, waddya think about this?" Or "hey, can we change this up a bit?" I think the forum should state the fact whos accepting the job and terms before hand but usually the op states terms and conditions.

But this is just my thought on it.

Btw, whats with everytime I try to post it says its too short, this looks more like 10 chars to me?

Well let me just say I cant stand msn ;) I prefer gtalk but you can get scammed anywhere even in person but I think this is a great place to start is in the forums then after you feel comfy with the dude/dudette then you can take it some where else for immediate responses but those convos I dont think should be much more than "hey, waddya think about this?" Or "hey, can we change this up a bit?" I think the forum should state the fact whos accepting the job and terms before hand but usually the op states terms and conditions.

But this is just my thought on it.

I agree this is how it should be.

i agree with Nickson if someone just post woffle here is my email looking for work then its just crap really what can ya say to a post like that really, i agree keeping clients on msn, yahoo, what ever is good but from what i saw nick was not against that part of it if that makes seance.

thanks for reading