MakeWebGames

are you using a CMS? Thoughts or comments.

Bane_Star

I started a new game, and just thought, why would I want to go through the hassles I have before to create the blog, the project list, comments pages, user accounts etc..

why not just use a CMS?

The only think I have to work out is linking the existing user account to my own pages, and re-formatting the pages to match the style of my game.

Anyone else use a CMS for this? Thoughts or comments?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay confused now. I have used Wordpress, Drupal, Joomla. So you guys are suggesting me that Wordpress is just a blog system and not a CMS. I thought it was.

Wordpress is not really a CMS... it's a blog system yes, but not really a CMS as there is no real workflow.

hi mate, can you pls tell me what do you meanby "there is no real workflow".

Sorry I am just very curious to know why WP is not considered as CMS.

Thanks in advance.

Well, in a CMS I expect to have multiple editors, which can contribute on some sections or all, then there should be a review process (done by other members) which ends up by agreeing on the article and therefore publishing it, or on the other side back to the editor if it's not good enough.

All that is something different from a blog which in my opinion wordpress is. It's a pure blog software, but that's not the same thing as a CMS for me.

Wordpress doesnt need to be used as just a pure blogging platform at all. I have seen many sites built on Wordpress and they are not blogs at all. Wordpress is certainly a CMS. You can edit Wordpress as much as you need. It's a blog by default, but it can be easily changed into login only areas, static pages, polls, (article) directories, and much more.

• 4 months later...

well, I did my research, Wordpress turns out to have a fairly decent system, takes less room than most, easily writeable/plugins to link in accounts, akismet, IP tracking, Membership system, multiple levels of membership, facebook user, RSS feeds. Pretty much 90% of the code I don't care to take the time to create, but is required to have even the most simplest of games up and running.

All you have to do, is install it, and include ('wp_config'); in your index, then your user_id is available for all your own php pages and your own Db.

Cool part is, The bloggin aspect is great for informing your users about game changes, updates, new aspects and anything that normally you'd have to create some kind of info box for.

p.s. I tried Joomla, Silverstripe (yuk) and MODx, I thought about making my own with the help of http://css-tricks.com/php-for-beginners-building-your-first-simple-cms/ But the purpose was not to MAKE a CMS, it was to have an up and running memebrship system within hours.Which it did

Joomla, was.. well, I got bogged down trying to understand all the bits I needed to add, Silverstripe has a horrid inability to cope with making new code, and All three are just TOO BIG for small sites..

• 2 weeks later...
Wordpress is not really a CMS... it's a blog system yes, but not really a CMS as there is no real workflow.

Yes it's a blog but more and more it is becoming a CMS, maybe not advertised as such but the plugins you can get and such can easily make it into one.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IMO anything that manages content (which wordpress does) can be considered a CMS, hints the name (Content Management System)

A content management system (CMS) is a computer system that allows publishing, editing, and modifying content as well as site maintenance from a central page. It provides a collection of procedures used to manage workflow in a collaborative environment.

Wordpress allows publishing, editing, and modifying content, and does allow site maintenance from a central page. It also does provide a collection of procedures to manage workflow in collaboration.

Edited by booher