Do you know how to use IRC?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you know how to use IRC?

• Yes, and I use it too!
    • Yes, I've heared about it but don't use it
    • No, but I would like to know more about IRC
    • No, but I don't want to use it either
    • Yes, I could use it but prefer other methods

Our civilization has come to a point where communication is actually rather important and worldwide. Means of communication have been around for ages, however, computers haven't. In terms of the computer-timeline, IRC is rather old, yet by many seen as one of the best means to communicate, better than skype and msn when it comes to multiple user communication. I share that opinion. When people want to chat and receive the quickest live "support" IRC is the best thing out there as far as I know. It just has so many options and it's fairly easy.

I'm not going to explain or give an introduction to what IRC actually is, I have just one simple question for everyone.

Do you (know how to) use IRC?

Just to point out for those that do not know a lot about IRC. IRC is more than wsirc, mIRC or the mwg chat page :)

I've used IRC since dark ages (Effnet, Dalnet, Undernet, PTnet (local)) been there for a few years used a lot of /kill;/akill/kline, though... i don't use it for... 10 years.

Bitchx, mirc (the evil 7th sphere), xchat and later irssi, were the main clients i've used through the years... and, i did a lot of IRL friends using it. As Nickson said... is pretty old, i remember using it back in 94.

These days and mostly because people simply are not fancy with plain text and rather have those numb messages full with lame smilies for every single word... MSN is the choice...

If you consider general use, surely the newer IM clients, like msn will have the upper hand. But I'm not asking for that ;) I just want to know what most people think about IRC and how well they know it. For developers, and gamers too, I still find it an excellent use due to its broad range of possibilities and such.

My list of preferred communication methods for online stuff:

1. Email

2. IRC

IRC still isn't as personal as email, so I still choose it. However, when it comes to chatting with multiple people IRC is on top.

The reason why the developer in me love IRC, is because you can set it up just how you want to. And you can put an additional layer on top of it to make it "flashy".

IRC will never die, just like mailing lists.