MakeWebGames

Sony - PSN back online?

Rasheed saeed

Hi,

Well it's been awhile since I've been on MWG but just popping on now and then. Anyway, most PS3 users/members know that Sony hacked 'hacked' by 'Anonymous'(Anonymous are a group of hackers fighting against company for rights. They are the one's who 'hacked' PSN and took it down, yet they said it was an attack on Sony itself not the members as they want the features back on PS3. Running Linux and such). Sony have released updates to there system and will be coming back to the UK soon!

Watch the official video here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/14/kazuo-hirai-playstation-network-relaunch-announcement/

Kinda shows why PSN Is free and XBOX Live the biggest online console gaming service is a paid service (although there is a free service with limited features).

How do you know that Xbox could not be hacked in the same way, or worse? Im sure if these hackers can completely take down a massive service provided by Sony, then they could do just the same if not worse to a Microsoft product (Xbox).

PS3 was targeted because Sony tried to take Geohot (Hacker Guy) to court. Its simply payback...

Im sure if these hackers can completely take down a massive service provided by Sony, then they could do just the same if not worse to a Microsoft product (Xbox).

How'd you come to that conclusion? Sure MS might lack security with Windows, but that's a totally different area for MS, most probably with different programmers. Surly with all the MS haters, it would have already been hacked?

xbox live has been hacked before

you making hacking sound easy...

- - you would need a group of people (that you can trust and can keep a secret) to help you carry out these hacks

- - organizing such a group would be pretty hard as you would have to be careful of fakes and spies/tattlers

- - a lot more people love microsoft than hate it making the group organizing process even harder

- - on top of all that even as a group it probably took months of code reading and writting to execute this attack

2 things that made it significantly easier for whatever group that attacked psn was

- - gehotz posting a video on youtube on how to jail break a ps3 uncovering secret (not so secret anymore) data and info which lead to further digging into the system and eventually the hack of psn

- - next was the database used to store account info was a way outdated version of mysql and when there is outdated software there are security vulerabilities obviously someone knew some of these vulnerabilities and took advantage of them to steal the 10's of millions of users info that was reported stolen by playstation.com

i dont remember exactly what i read (only remember certain aspects of somethings :/) but it may have been something about an external site storing userinfo that was gotten from playstation network... perhaps a trophy website?

im about sure it was playstation network using mysql tho i didnt really believe it either but after looking into what mysql is capable of and reading that statement in a few different places its believable

i believe its only to store name,username,email,credit card info,wallet funds etc...

playstation.com blog,forums,etc use php + mysql

and when you log on to playstation.com it connects directly to the network to retrieve and verify password info etc...

i never stored any cc info or had the need to change any info on psn but im pretty sure you could edit it along with username, password, email, etc... directly from the website

with forums/blog already using it why not use it to store user info

its definitely believable since its only used to store account info and stuff

not like its updated millions or billions of times per second with game/map coordinates or something by each user

using the us for example

with only less than 100million accounts owned in the us and multiple accounts owned by the same people or people of the same household

putting it at a max of 60-70million people online at the same time

keeping in mind that everyone wont be on at the same time

changing the max to maybe around 50million maybe less

1 good server could handle all those connections but they have multiple servers handling them

PSN used MySQL :S Sounds unlikely to be honest

Nope it doesn't. As they created a site where users can obtain/reset their passwords and that was hacked/more of an exploit where hackers could gain any user info from using the URL bar.

• 5 weeks later...

True, but you should be responsible if you work with important user data. Just because it's free doesn't mean users data should be available everywhere, especially credit card details. This is info that you should never be able to access unless via the correct way, free or not.

Aww danny, did you already forget your birthday pledge, you troll? :P I'm pretty sure xbox live has had his issues already, just not so known as the issue PSN had. I remember something with unfair bans which happened to a lot of people, don't have a source though so I'm quite unsure. Nonetheless, paid or not, people should be responsible with data!

• 3 months later...

PSN seems to betting crowded in the mix in recent times. Well, that probably goes with being in a good state so those people who are in a state of crab mentality will definitely try to pull you down.

I have a ps3 and it really is sad to have the psn down, though I do not have a good business with it all the time.