MakeWebGames

A couple of words of warning

a_bertrand

Well, you should first ask yourself why you want to have one... As beside there is tons of such games (and nearly all are not good at all), owning a game is not a piece of cake.

So you should first start with the ideas:

- What will offer your game that isn't there already?

- What's the story you will provide (no story? then stop as it will not be fun)

- What are you skills? No skills? Then learn before expecting to create a game.

- What's you budget? Even if you code the engine yourself, the hosting will cost you, so you MUST have a budget.

Once you have set those questions, you can then decide if one of the pre-existing engine (McCode is not a good choice) will fit your needs, if not then you must code the game yourself.

Overall, if you decide to still do something, think that without having to learn how to code or the technology itself, you must invest like 1 year before you really have your game. Sure you can install a script and then change some templates, but that will not work as you will hardly attract more than a coupe of hundred users, and this will not allow your game to survive very long.

Finally, if your game is online, be prepared to face all sorts of attacks, kids love to try to "exploit" / "hack" game web sites, so you must be pretty sure about your code otherwise it will be ruined in less time you took to read this.

Now if you are still convinced that you have something unique in mind, then go forward, those were just warning about all the pit holes on the road in front ;)

You are never a good coder. Or this is my own opinion. I started with BASIC like 25 years ago (now I'm 37), and I still learn every days (or nearly). Of course I don't develop with BASIC anymore and my softs are a tiny bit more complex than 25 years ago...

Also, as I'm currently developing a new game (which I started in May), and it is not the first game of mine, I can tell you that all takes time. Specially if you are alone or nearly. Doing art, story, engine, balancing and then later on admin and marketing is not a small job :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I know I sound like a newb lol but I honestly am very interested in learning how these games work and how to make on myself. I am not sayinhg it will be great or anything lol, I just want to learn and see what happens.

My question is, where would be the best place to start if I wanted to start learning how to code game? Basically text based rpgs.

• 5 months later...

you can then decide if one of the pre-existing engine (McCode is not a good choice) will fit your needs

So McCode is not a good choice for a game? I have actually been considering purchasing it once Redux comes out but it seems every other post I read on this forum about the engine conflicts with other posts about it so I stand confused.

Is it a good product or is it still full of exploitable holes and poor security? Why would it not be a good choice? What would be a good choice for a text based game. Just curious ... thanks!

I believe that since the last batch of updates it is now secure. However the question is what you do with it. Just use it as base to learn? Then could be a good idea. If you believe you will have a game without effort then it's a bad choice as a game is anyhow a lot of efforts if you want to get some real results.

• 3 months later...

I have been " mucking around " so to speak for some time now mainly the art side of things, then coded my own website via a tutorial and i can say its bloody hard work.

I would like to be part of the process of "owning a game" at least contribute by doing the artwork or modeling probably the only things i'm ok at LOL maybe in the next 10 years i can say i did it.....