MakeWebGames

Ubuntu is the way to go?

Guest cablebox

Guest cablebox

I have downloaded and installed Ubuntu onto my computer, but downloading in Ubuntu is very painful. What does everyone else suggest?

Because I know Linux is good for programming but for some reason, I do not find it efficient. Who else is using linux? Do you have a reason why?

Linux is not a magical OS that helps you instantly code better or faster :)

Linux just has more powerful tools for development, and these tools can speed up certain development processes, or reduce work in certain areas. But to be able to gain the benefits from these tools, you need to learn how to use them first. If you're switching from windows, it will probably seem confusing or complicated. It will take some time (or a lot of time) to learn to use these tools, so you're not likely to notice a dramatic speedup at first.

As for these wonderful tools I speak of, everybody has their own preferences so I can't really tell you which ones to learn. For example, text editors. There are many powerful text editors, but they are each different in their own way. Some people prefer emacs, some prefer vim and some stick to a gui-based editor. Or IDE like eclipse.

Or source code revision management for example. Central repository, or distributed? SVN or CVS? Git or Mercurial?

But it all comes down to your preferences. Trying to argue emacs or vim is the better one is just starting a religious debate. :P I'd recommend you give everything a try, and take some time to learn to use them and see which ones you like. If things still don't work out you can always switch back to windows or mac.

Another benefit is being able to use the terminal. Although some would call it a downside :)

Guest cablebox

actually I understand Linux, very well, it is just I want to know other people's experiences. If you know what I mean?

I have also read Linux From Scratch (LFS) So I know how the entire thing is run, but I just think some things are real pain.

VM is a good idea though, I might use it.

Well, what do you mean, you find some things inefficient?

I find that it's nice to use once you're learned how to use it properly.

I do find some things annoying, like all the keyboard shortcuts. You have to be very careful what you press when you're in a terminal or curses program if you don't know what every key does yet. I've given myself many headaches by accidentally pressing Break instead of Backspace too (Break is just above backspace on my keyboard) :(

• 5 weeks later...

My dad had a spare, broken ass desktop at his work place. He gave it to me, I fixed it up and decided to install Ubuntu on it. Installation was easy so there wasn't a problem there. I still use my Vista but I do switch over to this. I don't wanna sound like an experct becasue I just installed it a few days ago, but it's given me a good impression so far...

As a person that's used nothing but the never changing interface of Windows.

I did try Ubuntu and at first it was a little confusing and a little stressfull (Google helps at this time) but as soon as I picked up the basics of the Command Line I was off and I've found myself switching to my desktop just to use Ubuntu.

One thing I do like is the Ubuntu software centre (not sure if that's what it's called) but it's great it had thousands of programmes for different uses such as programming or just gaming so that's a relief (I hate having to look for new programmes lol)

I recommend giving it a try if you don't like it going back to Windows is a option or trying some different Linux based OS.

Installing was a breeze well on my desktop my laptop wouldn't have it so I think it might be best checking if you pc will support it.

You can uninstall it via the installation disk if any problems arise so if your unsure on whether or not it will work I'd suggest installing it within Windows(Dual Boot) just incase :)

Have fun with it.

Djkanna

Yes, the Synaptic Package Manager is very useful :)

Also, you can tru Ubuntu from the CD without installing it at all, so you could do what I did:

Order the CD online (took about 8 days to arrive to me in Yorkshire, England),

Install or try,

Chose what you think about it,

Keep it if you wish :)

But it all comes down to your preferences. Trying to argue emacs or vim is the better one is just starting a religious debate. :P I'd recommend you give everything a try, and take some time to learn to use them and see which ones you like. If things still don't work out you can always switch back to windows or mac.

Zeggy answered it pretty well - only thing I would add is that VIM > emacs, any day of the week. ;)

Another benefit is being able to use the terminal. Although some would call it a downside :)

The single biggest reason I'd switch to linux. Putty is nice and all... but I've fallen in love with the terminal.

Seems like some people doesn't understand this concept, Gnome and KDE(the whole GUI) is just applications that runs on Ubuntu, it's not like Windows.

I love Ubuntu, I favour it amongst the other Linux variants, simply put - it's easy.

Linux can be run on mostly anything, you can take that 10year old computer just collecting dust in your garage and install Linux on it, and I bet it will run(well, server edition at LEAST).

But still, even though I have Ubuntu desktop edition, the only reason I haven't removed XP completely from my machine is for gaming purposes, but one of these days I hope that WineHQ can really replace every Microsoft aspect. But I must say, Photoshop and such programs actually runs faster in WineHQ than my XP environment.

• 2 weeks later...

I f**ked the windows transfer part, only my sexbox kept me sain this week, just had to do a F2 on startup, change the default startup drive to the D, secondary to DVD drive 1, and install linux that way. Seems good, some things dont work tho overall, i would say windows has the edge because more programs for it.