MakeWebGames

ZAP Engine

a_bertrand

What is the ZAP Engine:

The Zap Engine is a collaboration between different members of the MWG Forums. The engine will be at the end a bit more than a simple empty engine as it is meant to be a full working default game. Admin tools should allow to edit most if not all part of the games content like "location contents" (for example jobs), battle monsters, etc...

The game will take a full modular design, and will allow new developers to just develop modules without the requirement to change the core files or at least limit those.

Feature list:

- Modular design

- Compatible with php 4 and 5

- Engine under the GNU license

- Secure (core and default modules, we cannot guarantee that all modules written by external people are also secure)

- Template and skins completely customizable (buttons, colors, placement of the items etc...)

- Easy to develop

- Doesn't use sessions, instead use a self made cookie (allows load balancing and other)

- Will work mainly without crons and certainly without 5min or 1min crons.

Goals:

- Out of the box secure game

- Free to use and develop

- Collaboration between multiple game owners to create / maintain it

- Go away from those all to well known mafia game engines

- Offer more flexibility than the previous mentioned engines

Documentation:

(still under construction)

http://zapengine.com/documentation.php

Following up the development now, apart from it being easy to stay up to date with the svn, I must say, I'm impressed! I actually hope to be contributing to this at one point, not sure when though :(

Totally different approach structure wise but not always as easy to follow what is what exactly. One of the things that confuses a bit me is the following:

basedir/work <-- a file with installed modules

basedir/modules/locations/work <-- the actual work in the gameplay

I'm not sure whether this is done for a certain purpose, but maybe a rename could be done, to get rid of any possible confusion?

For the problem of knowing what is what, I tried to keep a readme in each directory to say what the directory does. Of course this need to be futher documented, and that will be done via wiki if we see some more interest.

$basedir/work needs to be writable by the apache where the modules directory not, that's why I keept it separated.

Also this work directory will contain other files generated by the engine not only the list of "installed" modules.

Also the work directory contains a db file which is a serialization of all the modules which use the auto-installation procedure. The work module is just one module which does that. Of course we can change the names, not a big deal.

Thanks, we are trying hard to make this engine as clean, clear and usable as possible. So any comments, any suggestions are welcome. For example I got yet other complains by the name and the hierarchy of directories. Seems that this huge number of directories scare some of you, therefore I'm willing to discuss about it, even changing the names etc.

I was also wondering if we should already start to setup a wiki help for it.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
What's the exact error message displayed? If we know it maybe we can find a way to avoid it... without hard coding a wrong time zone.

yes i know its been awhile but i turned this back up today exact error is below

Strict Standards: date_default_timezone_get() [function.date-default-timezone-get]: It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. Please use the date.timezone setting, the TZ environment variable or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in /home/terabyte/public_html/zapengine/libs/base.php on line 43

wrx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I'm sorry for digging up this old thread but is there any life on the ZAP Engine?

I've seen the source on sourceforge and could get it to work on my test system. I like the clean and modular system, but haven't found any docs around this engine anymore. :(

[Edit] Well, okay, so far I have tried to fix some issues I have found with ZAP Engine on PHP 5.5.x and MySQL 5.6.x. ATM I'm working on a new responsive default theme, based on latest JQuery mobile for using jQuery widgets on ZAP Engine.

zap_desktop.png

zap_mobile.png

Just themed menu this time.

Kind regards,

Purzelkater

Edited by Purzelkater
Add some stuff