MakeWebGames

[REVIEW] Dowtown Toronto RPG ~ review

radio_active

Re: [REVIEW] Dowtown Toronto RPG ~ review

Thankyou for your reply Savager.

Basically i have been messing around with the login page field which is why it has pushed images around!

As for ingame layout, im going to spice it up a "BIT" more accept i have made it like that so its SIMPLE to navigate and find your way around, its much more user friendly then alot of games that i have seen.

Side panels stay as are. If anything colour changes.

Thankyou for your input.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour 10 minutes into advertising on one advertising site.

Users online in the last 15 mins 8

Users online in the last 30 mins 9

Users online in the last 1 Hour 16

Users online in the last 24 Hours 48

Before advertising

Users online in the last 15 mins 3

Users online in the last 30 mins 4

Users online in the last 1 Hour 7

Users online in the last 24 Hours 26

Ofcourse not all of them are going to stay. however when you begin advertising you have to only keep a low percentage, say 11% of all users who signup. I went in thinking that if i can make 400 users, maybe i will get about 40-70 active players and thats a good deal for me!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Aye sorry to bump another old thread (second time :cursing: ) but it seems that game is now dead : It's often much more interesting to know why something hasn't worked than reading success stories... Wondering if the creator or someone else could forward details.

(It's not to remind a bad story)

• 11 months later...

Well it's always interesting to see and understand, why games fail, so when you do start your own game, you're aware of them reasons, so you can avoid them and decrease the chance of your game failing. Even if it does, you can add another list to your point, and keep developing it to the point where you know some key points, which you can avoid to make sure your game has the best chances of becoming a sucess.

• 1 year later...

Ahh very frustrating typing out a whole post and then losing it all *sighh* Oh well, ill type it out again.

For those of you who know me from 5 years ago, and for those of you who have just read and caught up, I went into the business of creating a MCCode MMORPG, like many, with no experience in coding whatsoever.

Through manuals and studying a bunch of different coders work, I managed to pick up and understanding of PHP/MYSQL/CSS coding.

Downtown Toronto, the RPG game name I created had like many games the potential to go forward, however due to the underlying time aspect, DT was not given the care needed to bring it through the BETA stage. Having moved to Germany for 4 months I had a lot of individual time to put into the game, upon starting the International Baccalaureate, I lost time and it is only until now that I have had the time again to come back to CE, or as it was once called.

I also think back to the days when I started out and there were a few things I regret doing, or I could have seen myself do better now with more experience under my belt. Things such as working out the economics of a game, not just adding modifications which may have little to no relevance to the game were just basic factors that can decipher a successful game from an unsuccessful. I also feel that I should have scoped situations more before jumping into them, had a couple of effectively 'scam' situations over simple matters I would not repeat these days. I, as bad as it may sound, probably used a few too many things from CE because I felt that would improve the game, whereas maybe instead a simple revamp or visual revamp would do the trick. These are all things I look back on and think would have contributed to producing a more successful game.

My tips of advice are:

-If you want to run a good game, you have to be prepared to put a little money into it. Whether this be for hosting, paying professional coders, having scripts made etc, sometimes you have to pay that $50-$100 if you know it is an investment.

-Keep it simple is my best advice, don't have mismatched colours, or hard to read writing, too many tables or uneven tables. Try to keep things simple

-It is always nice to add some perks to your game that are simple yet effective 'radio's Inventory' as opposed to 'Your Inventory'.

-Banners - visual impact of a game has a lot to do with user base, if you cannot do any photoshop yourself, maybe try and learn, or pay the money to get some quality banners/advertising banners made for you.

-Don't overload your game!

-One of the biggest mistakes I think I made was being lazy, my cPanel began to swamp up with files.photos that were not being used. To the point where I wanted to delete a whole bunch of files, but sorting them out, deleting the SQLs and links within the files. Of course this has a little to do with not overloading your game, so you don't make this mistake and get lazy!

-Form a relationship with your players, especially the first few who come through the game.

-Active

-Release once you have all the problems fixed, don't release your game publicly until you have given it a BETA stage testing. Nothing worse for users then game resets, stat resets, money resets whatever. It may take a few more months until your game is live, but it'll be well worth it.

That is about all the advice I can think of at the moment.

How did I get back to CE? Well i just recently bought a new macbook pro, which came with adobe cs5, office 2011 etc. I then began to get interested in design, started making some banners for fun. Next minute I found some old Downtown Toronto files, looked for CE Gamers, found this, and here I am. Currently working on a project that I predict will be ready late in the year.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

(Haha, now that I get to the end of this, I realise there is a restore auto saved content which brought up my whole old post. Oh well)