MakeWebGames

Game economics

newttster

If you wanted to control the econimcs in your game for selling "donator items", would you as a player be happy with a minimum and maximum selling price?

Say the Donated currency is tokens. You've purchased them through paypal for advantages in the game but you need the in game currency to purchase something. The Token worth, per the game is 25,000 gold. You can sell it for a minimum of 25,000 gold, a mximum of 2,500,000 gold or anywhere in between. Would you be happy as a player with those numbers?

Once you as a player where to purchase a Token off of the player market, it becomes a personal item and can't be resold. Would you be happy with that?

If gifting Tokens to another player is not allowed, would you be happy with that?

If you wanted to gift Tokens to another player, would you be happy with a system that allows you to buy directly (by entering the giftees ID) for them?

Would you be happy with being able to sell in game items  that has no minimum or maximum? Or should they have minimum and maximum prices as well?

We all know that players can be very, very lazy. Would you set up shops where they can purchase items that they are too lazy to find or craft on their own? If so, would 3x the items worth be a reasonable cost to you for being lazy? 

Looking forward to your responses, arguements for or against, and any suggestions otherwise.

Thanks!

Min - Max yes that would be fine, if im paying for tokens they are mine todo as i please within your game as such if i wish to give them away i should be able to if i wish to put them on the market to sell to others i should be able to i shouldn't be punished for supporting your game (thats my view if im a player).

Ingame items should also have a min/max in my view as that helps massively to control your economy.

As a player I would like the ability to buy points/tokens etc and do what I want to do with them weather using them myself of selling some to other players.
But as a game owner I've decided that donating will be instead like a Subscription like fallout 1st thye get all the usual stuff except money but I have given them the ability to exchange the given diamonds for in game cash or for account extras. In regards of items all my items have 2 refresh qtys, a global and personal qty which both reset every hour. i.e let's say I have an M4 with a global qty of 100 and a personal qty of 10 every hour. all items also have either a use limit or a hp limit, made sure weapons have a min and max level to use them but if your level is below you can still use but it's not effective. also withing the level I have a zone where you gain extra skill points for the weapon level type. i.e my M4 is between level 1 and 5 with the skill increase range between 2 and 3. so the user are always encouraged to keep buying new weapons, but if they didnt want to do the grind the could just pick one weapon and stay with that all the way through.

To help with reducing the number of weapons in supply when you fight if you lose you will drop some/all weapons or the other player get some/all weapons
any uninsured items not claimed by the other player goes back on sale in the condition it's in with a shop that specializes with that.
any insured items not taken by the other player has a chance to be returned to that player once the claim has been handled. I have 4 speed: slow, normal fast and ASAP
Slow costing .5 * of the item's cond and ASAP costing 2.5 * of the item's cond. With a time limit of between 1 - 3 hours for ASAP and 15 - 18 for Slow.

Also I have been pondering if it would be worth having a central big pot of money, so that when money is generated in game it comes out of there and when the players buy properties, weapons, taxes etc it refills the pot. so that ther should only be a set amount in the economy
but then doing this to also has it's own problems and pitfalls aswell.

or the other end of this you implement some sort of gold linked or backed currency where your ingame points, diamonds etc is linked to a certain amount of currency so 1 point is always $1000 or something. but then this same it's problems and pitfalls to.

just my 2 cents.

tbh i got a mixed oppinion on the questions but i went and asked AI for fun but its answers was some what insightful 

Chat-GPT:

As an AI language model, I don't have personal opinions or experiences. However, I can provide some insights that players might consider when it comes to game economics and selling "donator items". Ultimately, player satisfaction depends on individual preferences and the specific dynamics of the game.

1. Minimum and Maximum Selling Price: Having a range of prices for selling donator items can provide players with flexibility. Some players may prefer to sell at the minimum price to quickly convert their tokens into in-game currency, while others may hold onto their tokens and sell them at a higher price. Offering a range allows players to make choices based on their own strategies and market conditions.

2. Tokens as Personal Items: Making tokens personal items that can't be resold can ensure that the advantages gained through purchases remain exclusive to the buyer. This can help maintain balance and prevent potential abuse or exploitation in the game economy. Players who value exclusivity may appreciate this restriction.

3. Gifting Tokens: Allowing or disallowing gifting tokens depends on the game's design and objectives. If gifting is not allowed, it may be a deliberate decision to prevent potential fraudulent activities or unfair advantages. Players who prioritize fairness and preventing cheating may support such a restriction.

4. Direct Token Gifting: A system that enables direct token gifting can provide convenience and foster social interactions within the game. Players who enjoy supporting their friends or engaging in gift-giving may appreciate this feature.

5. Minimum and Maximum Prices for In-Game Items: Implementing minimum and maximum prices for in-game items can help maintain a stable economy and prevent extreme inflation or deflation. It also ensures that the value of items remains within certain bounds, promoting fairness and balance in the game.

6. Lazy Player Shops: Setting up shops where players can purchase items they are too lazy to find or craft can cater to different player preferences. Offering such convenience may attract players who value saving time and effort. However, the pricing should be carefully balanced, as a cost of 3x the item's worth might seem excessive to some players. Finding a reasonable cost that aligns with player expectations is crucial.

It's important to note that player opinions may vary significantly, and game developers should consider conducting surveys or gathering feedback from their player community to understand their preferences and make informed decisions about game economics.

• 2 weeks later...