MakeWebGames

Android Studio

Hi, I am just wondering if anyone on here has made a game app using Android studio, such as the gangster nation game for instance, but I'm not sure how that was made.

I have just started using Android Studio, and was wondering if anyone could possibly point me in the right direction as to how I would do this.

As most of you'd know I am using RC engine.

Thank you everyone :)

I was going to write a big essay but I thought I'd keep it short and simple. If you want to see quick results, go hybrid. If you want to actually learn something new and have the time and patience then go native, the native route will be hard (even harder if you don't have a background in OOP), don't expect to be making fully fledged apps right away. If you apply yourself and have the dedication you'll pick it up quite quickly (like any other language).

Just a bit of information, if you do go down the hybrid route I suggest using Intel XDK, instead of using Cordova/Phonegap. XDK is more of a complete experience (my personal opinion) and you can use Cordova within XDK without the hassle of setting it up, you simply select if you'd like to use Cordova and it will be added to the project. The older versions of XDK were difficult to use however the newer version have had major improvements, for example their old plugins system was removed and they added a 1 click system. Look in to Ionic, it is like the Bootstrap for hybrid apps (if that is the correct comparison).

Also Android Studio is merely an IDE that Android ship with their download of SDK, it was built on top of Jetbrains' IntelliJ.

I'm just going to suggest something here, why not try making another type of game instead of the typical gangster/mafia type of game, that genre is a bit overused. You'll find it hard to build a hybrid app using an existing engine as you'll have to have the HTML, CSS and JavaScript separate from the server code, meaning the APK will contain only the front-end and requests will be sent to a server with PHP files. You should consider making you own "engine".

Reading Material

Native vs Web vs Hybrid apps

Edited by Script47

I was going to write a big essay but I thought I'd keep it short and simple. If you want to see quick results, go hybrid. If you want to actually learn something new and have the time and patience then go native, the native route will be hard (even harder if you don't have a background in OOP), don't expect to be making fully fledged apps right away. If you apply yourself and have the dedication you'll pick it up quite quickly (like any other language).

Just a bit of information, if you do go down the hybrid route I suggest using Intel XDK, instead of using Cordova/Phonegap. XDK is more of a complete experience (my personal opinion) and you can use Cordova within XDK without the hassle of setting it up, you simply select if you'd like to use Cordova and it will be added to the project. The older versions of XDK were difficult to use however the newer version have had major improvements, for example their old plugins system was removed and they added a 1 click system. Look in to Ionic, it is like the Bootstrap for hybrid apps (if that is the correct comparison).

Also Android Studio is merely an IDE that Android ship with their download of SDK, it was built on top of Jetbrains' IntelliJ.

I'm just going to suggest something here, why not try making another type of game instead of the typical gangster/mafia type of game, that genre is a bit overused. You'll find it hard to build a hybrid app using an existing engine as you'll have to have the HTML, CSS and JavaScript separate from the server code, meaning the APK will contain only the front-end and requests will be sent to a server with PHP files. You should consider making you own "engine".

Reading Material

Native vs Web vs Hybrid apps

Thank you, I will certainly look into it all, and I might create my own engine, but still have the server side if things running remotely from a different database on my website (if possible) but I'll have a read of the website you've provided shortly, I have only just woke up haha

I played with Android Studio a bit. I decided to just go with Visual Studio 2015 since I believe the Windows Market will generate more money. I don't have time to master both.

Really???

chart-ww-smartphone-os-market-share.png

The market research begs to differ. Also, you won't have to learn "both" you need to know 1 thing which is pretty much JavaScript and maybe what imported libraries work with what device and what doesn't work with a particular device and you can target all markets in 1 shot using the Intel XDK or Cordova

Allow me to rephrase "I decided to just go with Visual Studio 2015 since I believe the Windows Market will generate more money easily. I don't have time to master both."

Why?

Since the Android and iOS market is already flooded and dominated the income in your chart ex: Android: %70, %50 of the %70 is from a few companies and the other %20 is from average joe's.

With Windows 10 Universal market you can target PC and winPhones and windows tablets and with Microsoft pushing Windows 10 onto Win 7 and 8 users soon it will give more people who have not yet broken into any markets a greater chance of success. Also many Gamers from Windows 7/8 love Windows 10 for gaming.

Window PC's are still used more in businesses then Android phones or Tablets (except for servers which uses Linux) so learning Visual Studio which could be used for Software Development sounds more reasonable to me. Target, Kmart, Bailbonds places, video game store inventory systems, Real Estate companies mostly use Windows software for there daily needs.

Visual Studio also allows you use "Cordova".

I understand that but why only target 1 area? Sure you can use VS as your IDE but some people don't have the money to purchase it unless your a student then it's free along with a windows mobile developer license. But if you use the Apache or Intel SDK/XDK then you can target ~95% of the mobile platforms out there instead of the 2-3% which is Windows mobile.

Even if you did target just the Windows platform (in this instance) to get the desktop and tablet market as well most of the places such as businesses would probably frown upon you jump of Gangster Nation type games at work and may have firewalls in place.

My opinion is, if your trying to target as many people as you can go Apache Cordova/Intel XDK. This way you say you want Android, iOS, and Windows targeted then you have a better chance of getting across to your demographic

Thanks guys.

Just say I want to convert my PHP/HTML to XML/Java

Is there any possible way I could do this?

I have so far built a log in Page, register Page, and a Page it takes you to when you log in.

I have not yet tested this, but I have it running off my Wamp server, so I'll give that a test shortly, before testing it on my actual domain.

What I'm not looking forward to is recoding crimes and gym into the app hence why I'm asking about conversion haha!

Does anyone know of any sample projects I could look at?

Thanks guys.

Just say I want to convert my PHP/HTML to XML/Java

Is there any possible way I could do this?

I have so far built a log in Page, register Page, and a Page it takes you to when you log in.

I have not yet tested this, but I have it running off my Wamp server, so I'll give that a test shortly, before testing it on my actual domain.

What I'm not looking forward to is recoding crimes and gym into the app hence why I'm asking about conversion haha!

Does anyone know of any sample projects I could look at?

I'm assuming you have a time constraint, so webview + mobile stylesheet (w/ a responsive design) will help you get a product out of the door quickly.

You don't need to recode it at all, just sent HTTP requests (create a REST API to interact with your current logic). If you have a nice budget, I can do this for you (nice >$2,500)

I'm assuming you have a time constraint, so webview + mobile stylesheet (w/ a responsive design) will help you get a product out of the door quickly.

You don't need to recode it at all, just sent HTTP requests (create a REST API to interact with your current logic). If you have a nice budget, I can do this for you (nice >$2,500)

If I had that kind of money mate I'd happily say yes.

But I currently get $430 each fortnight.

As I have no job at the moment it would literally take me around two years to actually save haha.

I'm just lucky my hosting is cheap and reliable

There are a few things which could have been used to make the app. One of the more choices I am leaning towards is some sort of JavaScript library like jquery or Angualr and set up some sort of API to transmit data object back and forth.

Thanks, I have already set up API files on my server, and it is working fine, all I have at the moment is a log in page, register, a page while logged in, and a change password page and that's all so far, I am also running it off a different database for testing purposes, now time to start on an index page, and take it one step at a time instead of rushing it, I want a good outcome from this, hopefully it get me more players, as I only have few players (85) I think, not sure whether that is a lack of advertising the game, or whether I just have poor management skills!

• 5 years later...