MakeWebGames

PHP Streaming

Coly010

I was doing some background reading on some features and techniques in PHP (I do this every so often when I get bored... Lol) and I came across an article about streaming in PHP.

When I saw the title I expected it to be about using AJAX or some other JavaScript library to fetch data processed and generated by a PHP script to display content on the web page.

Halfway through the article I realised that it was a lot more informative than I thought it would be and that AJAX was only mentioned at the end.

The article is here:

http://www.sitepoint.com/php-streaming-output-buffering-explained/

Some of you may have seen it already, if not I think it's definitely worth a read, especially for people starting off in PHP. It highlights the connection between PHP and the webserver, and demonstrates that there is more going on behind the scenes than you think. I personally think this is vital for newcomers to PHP because to be a good developer, you need to understand how your code is being executed and the resources it is using, the back end stuff, the part that you don't see happening but still have control over.

Anyway, take a read and tell me what you think.

[MENTION=68406]-BRAIDZ-[/MENTION] im tagging you in this because I feel you need to do a bit more reading on PHP if you want to be able to develop mods etc with it. Whilst this won't directly help you with mod creation I think it might show you more of what's going on in PHP.

I was doing some background reading on some features and techniques in PHP (I do this every so often when I get bored... Lol) and I came across an article about streaming in PHP.

When I saw the title I expected it to be about using AJAX or some other JavaScript library to fetch data processed and generated by a PHP script to display content on the web page.

Halfway through the article I realised that it was a lot more informative than I thought it would be and that AJAX was only mentioned at the end.

The article is here:

http://www.sitepoint.com/php-streaming-output-buffering-explained/

Some of you may have seen it already, if not I think it's definitely worth a read, especially for people starting off in PHP. It highlights the connection between PHP and the webserver, and demonstrates that there is more going on behind the scenes than you think. I personally think this is vital for newcomers to PHP because to be a good developer, you need to understand how your code is being executed and the resources it is using, the back end stuff, the part that you don't see happening but still have control over.

Anyway, take a read and tell me what you think.

[MENTION=68406]-BRAIDZ-[/MENTION] im tagging you in this because I feel you need to do a bit more reading on PHP if you want to be able to develop mods etc with it. Whilst this won't directly help you with mod creation I think it might show you more of what's going on in PHP.

Thank you, I appreciate it mate..

I'm just so confused going from Ravan's/MCC to RC, the codes are both so different...

Thank you, I appreciate it mate..

I'm just so confused going from Ravan's/MCC to RC, the codes are both so different...

You can't really think like that at all or that's where you get confused. If you get a half decent IDE like netbeans for example(not my favorite...just an example) you can easily find stuff like functions, classes, and methods used and see what they do

You can't really think like that at all or that's where you get confused. If you get a half decent IDE like netbeans for example(not my favorite...just an example) you can easily find stuff like functions, classes, and methods used and see what they do

I'd recommend using something like:

• Atom (Free)
  • PHP Storm (Paid)
  • Sublime Text 3 (Paid - Free Unlimited Trial)

I thought about getting another monitor, but my card only has one DVI-I port, one HDMI, and one DP. I haven't got monitors of those types laying around, and I don't feel much like buying a shoddy Chinese-made "converter" off of Amazon.

On topic, I'm downloading PHP Storm to give it a shot. Their website made it seem like it was a nice, dark theme, so that's a plus.

(Secretly cheers on his 3Mbit line)

@op This looks interesting i may see if i can use this at work for our graphing software as some graphs have 1m+ data points would be handy to stream teh data down rather then wait for it all to load

I thought about getting another monitor, but my card only has one DVI-I port, one HDMI, and one DP. I haven't got monitors of those types laying around, and I don't feel much like buying a shoddy Chinese-made "converter" off of Amazon.

I had 3 extra monitors running of of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1080P-UGA-USB-2-0-To-DVI-HDMI-VGA-Multi-Display-Adapter-Converter-Graphics-Card-/200732269188 they were great for programming (not so good for gaming)