MakeWebGames

Hosting recommendation for MCCodes script?

I just use digitalocean. [MENTION=65371]sniko[/MENTION] recommended them to me and when he did he said "once you start using it you'll never look back" or something similar and it was so true. It's so so easy to set up and you have moreless complete control over your server to install whatever extensions / software.

It handles mccodes well

I just use digitalocean. @sniko recommended them to me and when he did he said "once you start using it you'll never look back" or something similar and it was so true. It's so so easy to set up and you have moreless complete control over your server to install whatever extensions / software.

It handles mccodes well

I was going to post Digital Ocean last night, but then decided against it.

As much as I love Digital Ocean, I would say it's not very n00b friendly and if somebody is asking me which hosts will accept mc codes, I am pretty sure they are going to have fun learning to run so much via Terminal/SSH.

With that in mind, I figured it was potentially a bad option, in this instance.

As much as I love Digital Ocean, I would say it's not very n00b friendly and if somebody is asking me which hosts will accept mc codes, I am pretty sure they are going to have fun learning to run so much via Terminal/SSH.

On a hosting level, digitalocean is great. I didn't factor for a n00b trying to host McCodes. Terminal /SSH isn't too difficult to pick up, especially when forced to do so.

But i must admit I love the fact you think that anyone looking to see which hosts will accept mccodes is a n00b. LOL

On a hosting level, digitalocean is great. I didn't factor for a n00b trying to host McCodes. Terminal /SSH isn't too difficult to pick up, especially when forced to do so.

But i must admit I love the fact you think that anyone looking to see which hosts will accept mccodes is a n00b. LOL

Well, it is a slightly n00bish question...

I only asked because of my experiences trying to get my recent game up and started. The first host, the crons absolutely would not run, no matter how I set them up. Then they told me 1 minute Crons were forbidden, even though their TOS didn't state such. Host #2 was ok, but then told me that "mafia scripts" were against their rules (couldn't find it on their site anywhere) and had to take it down. *sigh* I finally found iFastNet (recommended by someone named Haunted Dawg on here awhile back), which seems to be working great and supports the script flawlessly.

Note: I've used FTP and SSH in the past, so i'm no "noob", thanks. :)

I know that some hosts have issues with game scripts because of their intensive nature as they grow, and in particular the use of frequently run crons in MCC's case.

I know that some hosts have issues with game scripts because of their intensive nature as they grow, and in particular the use of frequently run crons in MCC's case.

Thats why I prefer not to recommend free shared hosting for games lol.

I only asked because of my experiences trying to get my recent game up and started. The first host, the crons absolutely would not run, no matter how I set them up. Then they told me 1 minute Crons were forbidden, even though their TOS didn't state such. Host #2 was ok, but then told me that "mafia scripts" were against their rules (couldn't find it on their site anywhere) and had to take it down. *sigh* I finally found iFastNet (recommended by someone named Haunted Dawg on here awhile back), which seems to be working great and supports the script flawlessly.

Note: I've used FTP and SSH in the past, so i'm no "noob", thanks. :)

As you have experience, than now I would recommend Digital Ocean - Shameless referral link here - as they are pretty scalable and you can upgrade the package without having to drop it.

Although, that live upgrade currently doesn't adjust disk space, just memory and cores - that said, I haven't checked the status of that for a while and they were working on it, so that may not even be a factor right now.

To be fair, if you are happy to use FTP* along with a database management script**, with some experience of SSH/Terminal***

I suggest FileZilla due to being free and allows FTP and SFTP connections

I suggest Adminer as it's a single PHP file, shows when an update is needed, free and updated quite regularly. Not to mention, it's pretty similar to PMA, which most people are familiar with.

Putty is a pretty decent option for windows, but if you have a mac, I prefer Terminal, which is built in.