MakeWebGames

Advertising

So today I released the game i've been working on for a while now, but the thing that had been worrying me for a while now was advertising. I decided to purchase facebook and reddit advertisement but I have gained next to no members through it, just me and friends at the moment!

So i was wandering if there were any other sites that will help boost my members, paid or free.

Was looking around these forums for tips but only found an 8 year old thread on the subject.

james,cheers

So today I released the game i've been working on for a while now, but the thing that had been worrying me for a while now was advertising. I decided to purchase facebook and reddit advertisement but I have gained next to no members through it, just me and friends at the moment!

So i was wandering if there were any other sites that will help boost my members, paid or free.

Was looking around these forums for tips but only found an 8 year old thread on the subject.

james,cheers

Getting a decent audience onto your game is probably the hardest part about owning a game. There are loads of options you could go down to try to attract new members.

Paid advertising

There are heaps of paid advertising providers who will promote your site for a cost. This cost is normally vast so I'm not going to go into much detail here. If you're trying to promote a game I'd only really suggest going for those who specifically target gamers. Most of these companies will require huge deposits just to get started.

http://ad4game.com/

http://www.advertisegame.com/

http://leetmedia.com/

I don't endorse any of these companies as I haven't personally used them.

Cheaper, less effective methods

You could look into sites such as Fiverr for those offering services such as twitter/facebook posts on game related accounts. These can be very hit and miss. For $5.00 you're not going to get anything amazing but it could be helpful in the long run anyway to give the site some exposure. Finding decent posts within Fiverr and other sites similar is always a challegne!

What I believe the key method of advertising is?

Social media.

It's a simple, free idea which allows you to get your players to "boast" about their advances in your game in front of all their friends. I think it's key for any game to have a decent social media integration. If the user levels up, why not let them rub it in all their friends faces? Some will find this annoying, some will love the idea of being able to show everyone their amazing character. Alongside that you are gaining free advertising! Providing your post doesn't look like all the other spam game posts this players friends are going to trust the post more then a simple ad banner on a website.

Make sure your game has a Facebook page so you can form a community of players giving them a place to see new features and discuss them. Take a look at how some huge (slightly unrelated games) do it:

https://www.facebook.com/Warcraft

https://www.facebook.com/leagueoflegends

Within this page you can also start pushing competitions. We've all seen those "repost this post for your chance to win something impressive", you may dismiss these but they're a strong form of cheap and effective advertising. If you're going to do one of these make sure you don't just give away some in-game credit, or an item. Give away something physical. Say a games console? New game? Make it interesting! Money can always be good but I'm not a massive fan of that.

You've gotta spend money to make money! There's my entire business/marketing education summed up in a few small paragraphs.

• Like 1

Pretty much your long term members will be from word of mouth. You can sign up to other games, but don't just mail the players links to your game, get to know them play the "other" game a little, than build up a good rep, most people on other games are willing to try other games, from people they know, I know this may seem time consuming, but this works really good, what leaves a bad rep is spamming another game with links without getting to know those you are spamming...Because another game link means another remake, to players that get spam, so they do not click on it, you have to sell yourself to the player, rather it seems time consuming to do so, it helps out a lot, and than they will tell their friends about your game, and it will go around by mouth, it's the best advertisement for FREE!!