MakeWebGames

Starting over with a script from the bottom - what do I need to learn?

dnenb

Hey guys!

I'm using mccode with MM and another script I bought with ME (see my signature), but I'm noticing more and more that I need to move to new coding standards. Many issues I'm facing while improving my games has to do with the fact that they're using old and deprecated functions, and this has me thinking that it might be worth starting from scratch. If I do so: What do I need to learn before I start? I want to do it object oriented, and I want a template engine so that players can pick between layouts. I'd be very glad if you guys could add to the list below and share your experiences if you've been in the same situation.

• PDO
  • jQuery
  • some templateengine

• 2 weeks later...
Also when starting over from the bottom where exactly should you start?

The way I think I'd do it is plan out the SQL's and create a DB etc. Then create a file to connect to the db? Then start with creating a register & login script?

You start with a business model. What functionality and story line your game is going to have. It's no use having a **** ton of modules and no story line.

Have your story line in place, then you start with the basic DB structure for accounts, login data, and so forth. Then your script to your DB. The login & register, then any modules that are first in place in your story line.

If you really wanted to go with today's standards you could go zend2, synfony2 , yii2 or some other mature framework each with a nice learning curve some are steep.

I would say Codeignighter too its most likely the easiest but there is issues with Ellis labs not continuing the project in hopes others will so it still has a lot of hope and its documentation is epic.

also a good start is the concept and idea of game

using normal paper is awesome for doing this. flow charts will help you with structure and organization

once there and ready start coding it together.

Edited by advocaite