MakeWebGames

OOP or Procedural MySQLi

Script47

I meant say you could choose again as a beginner, which one would you pick from the start?

I started with procedural, though I would never recommend to start there, I would say jump in head first in OO as that is the future

I think procedural is considered (from what I have personally read) stepping stones for beginners to get "acquainted" with PHP/MySQLi? My personal opinion, not fact.

I started on procedural from reading a few tutorials , then i stopped with tutorials and just read through php's documentation and went with oop since then , so i would class it as a stepping stone

It was directed to me - you don't need to know.

Sorry, thought it was to me. :) A very good share; insightful and a very good eye opener. I read some of it now, but it's nearly half four in the morning so I think it's time for bed for me!

Edited by Script47

I started on procedural from reading a few tutorials , then i stopped with tutorials and just read through php's documentation and went with oop since then , so i would class it as a stepping stone

That was the same as me, and now personally prefer OO because I've simply grown used to it, and you don't need to include your $c = mysqli_connect(); variable in every query you try to run whereas with OO you just use say $db->.

The problem with Mysqli is that a lot of the time the procedural and the OO functions aren't the same speed, there's a lot of cases where the procedural function is faster than the OO function, on the other hand, on a couple functions (I can't remember which) the OO version is faster due to not needing the extra var.

With Mysqli, mixing OO and Procedural is the best way to go

Thanks! I've been looking everywhere for an article to print onto toilet paper =)

(just kidding)

To be honest, I think it all depends on a persons logic and preference.

I rather like PDO and have used SQL, MYSQL, MYSQLi.

For my java projects I used JDBC to connect to a MYSQL database. I think it's just preference, there is no one right answer really?

is this is in the wrong thread? I would have expected this answer to be in the PDO the way forward? thread as you haven't mention OOP or Procedural mysqli :/