MakeWebGames

Looking for a web developer in or around East Sussex, UK.

LeeMason

Hi,

I'm looking for a web developer in or around the East Sussex area in the UK. I know it's a long shot looking here but other places are not looking so good either!

Anyway, I'm looking for an in-house web developer with knowledge of, or interest in HTML,CSS,PHP,SQL,WORDPRESS,DRUPAL.

We haven't decided whether to take on a junior or whether to take on a skilled web developer.

Let's keep this short and simple, I doubt we'll find anyone here.

PM me if you think you fit this role. I'll then need to see CV's and I'll let you know of wages etc.

Edited by LeeMason

I understand why you doubt you would find anyone on here. If you’re looking for a local professional you’re better off posting on job search sites or maybe even placing the job in a local paper.

To be honest, even if there are local people on here, I doubt anyone will E-mail a CV with such a small amount of information. Salary, basic qualifications you expect them to have (e.g. do they need a Zend certificate) are normally always stated in a job ad.

The reason I posted here is believe it or not, we had a vacancy 6 months ago and 3 of the people who we had interviewed all had direct connection to this forum (It's a small world!).

Obviously more information would be passed on to anyone that would wish to know more. We're an established company going strong for 8 years now. I just didn't wish to commit too much time to writing a long description about it because of the small chance of finding anyone.

Thanks for your comments.

Edited by LeeMason

The reason I posted here is believe it or not, we had a vacancy 6 months ago and 3 of the people who we had interviewed all had direct connection to this forum (It's a small world!).

Obviously more information would be passed on to anyone that would wish to know more. We're an established company going strong for 8 years now. I just didn't wish to commit too much time to writing a long description about it because of the small chance of finding anyone.

Thanks for your comments.

Even if I was interested, I wouldn't respond to a post like this.

Being skilled in your profession has a few advantages, one of them is deciding who you want to work for.

Good programmers are head-hunted on a weekly basis here in my country, I can only assume it's the same over there.

I've heard of many people that were head-hunted, which finally caved and went for an interview.

They just start mentioning everything they want, i.e. allowances, salaries way above market average, etc. and they usually get all of it.

Another thing I should really mention is that good programmers aren't really on the look-out for jobs.

Unless you have something insightful to offer a good developer, you're better off looking for s'kiddies.

Example:

We need a JavaScript Ninja, someone who knows all about first-class objects.

The key here is to give forth that you know something, because nobody likes to work with unintelligent people. (p.s. first-class objects is usually functions, meaning OOP)

Your responsibilities will be to lead the development team implement awesome ideas.

Local job board mentioned "lead the development team", hasn't received one hit. Smart people have ingenuity, and hate doing mundane tasks like client liaison.

Requirements:

- 5+ yr. working experience on large-scale applications in a goal-driven environment (structure, possibility to grow)

- Relevant diploma or degree (it doesn't really matter, because we all know the developer community hates these ZCEs)

- HTML 4/5

- CSS 2/3

- MySQL 5

- PHP 5.4 (versions are important, it gives a clue about how new the application is. Also indicates legacy isn't anywhere near)

- JavaScript; Node.js, jQuery, jUnit, require.js (libraries almost definitely identifies old code)

Salary offered is between x and y, depending on experience.

Perks: Fancy coffee machines, informal environment, performance bonus and free cake on birthdays.

"We haven't decided whether to take on a junior or whether to take on a skilled web developer."

Like I have said, we are also looking for juniors, being a forum for web based games I would assume that at least a few people here have the required skills or at least the passion to learn them. We have already had 3 interviewees for a junior position in the past from this forum (all though not successful), the reason for posting here was to see if there is any more.

I'm not going to compose a job description for a community board with little to no hope of finding someone.

Anyway, thank you for your reply.

I was gauging interest, nothing more, nothing less. The same reason you would not throw your time is why I will not throw mine. The chances of finding someone here are slim hence the lack of effort. (and the advert being up in other more suitable places)

Ahhh, I remember my family holidays in good 'ole Devon!

Just FYI, the people from this forum did not apply for *this* position, it was a junior position advertised around 6 months back. Had one guy (from this forum) who started a trial period, well, I say started but he never turned up so doesn't leave a lasting impression aha.