MakeWebGames

Market for Paid Modules?

Arson

I am considering creating some paid modules for this engine, but I haven't got any idea what the market is for ezRPG modules, or if there even is one...

Sooo....is anyone using this engine for a live game?

About how many games are running the ezRPG engine?

Last question, to those of you that are using the engine...Would you be interested in purchasing modules for your game?

It's a great engine for people who want to program their own features, but the lack of mods available might be one of the reasons why there aren't very many people who are using it. I used it to create my game, but I personally probably wouldn't purchase any mods. If you created a lot of good mods for sale for the engine, you might make the engine more popular at the same time.

It's a great engine for people who want to program their own features, but the lack of mods available might be one of the reasons why there aren't very many people who are using it. I used it to create my game, but I personally probably wouldn't purchase any mods. If you created a lot of good mods for sale for the engine, you might make the engine more popular at the same time.

Not really.

People who generally create games are youngsters(<16) and aren't able enough to understand ezRPG.

All other's would be professional, and would use in-house developers.

There's exceptions, but if you understand how to develop with ezRPG, you would create your own customizations.

I don't understand what you think would be hard to understand about it. We tried to make it as developer-friendly as we possibly could while still making it secure and fast.

'twas a compliment.

PS. Stop saying "we". You did not create ezRPG, Zeggy did.

'twas a compliment.

PS. Stop saying "we". You did not create ezRPG, Zeggy did.

<3 you Spud.

Let me clarify what Spud is trying to say (I think). The majority of the people on this forum, and game developers in general are youngsters with no money, with no real desire to learn and just want to be spoon fed everything, or just install a ****-load of mods already around, hence they all go to McCodes. The more advanced people who have are talented web devlopers, will most probably be able to make the mods themselves, hence there is no real mid-point which can be met, which the market for selling mods would be.

Believe me Im well aware of the herd of children that use mccodes and dont know what theyre doing...however, those of us that actually have a clue about programming would surely spend 5-10 dollars on a mod that could potentially save them hours of work..even 1 hour saved would be worth it for those of you charging $20+/hr would it not? Either way though, I dont think I will be making any mods for this engine, besides the one small one I already made.

Well as with everything, it has potential. I think you should make 2-3 mods, see how it goes. Or even try and make a decent sized package, that could perhaps go for about $50-$100 that actually would make a half-functioning game for someone who is new to Programming. Not only would that help the engine but you'd also profit from it. The thing about ezRPG is, it's really easy to use but you really do get the bare minimum and making a game from it is a lot of work, which is something a lot of people don't want to do.

Well as with everything, it has potential. I think you should make 2-3 mods, see how it goes. Or even try and make a decent sized package, that could perhaps go for about $50-$100 that actually would make a half-functioning game for someone who is new to Programming. Not only would that help the engine but you'd also profit from it. The thing about ezRPG is, it's really easy to use but you really do get the bare minimum and making a game from it is a lot of work, which is something a lot of people don't want to do.

Why that's an excellent idea. Perhaps when I get the time I will contribute to the growth of this engine in some manner :)

I don't care what they say about you Faz, you're alright by me ;)

Haha don't worry, I was honestly just kidding. I haven't heard anyone talking about ya.

Although from your replies I can tell that you're one of the more helpful/mature/intelligent members of the board.

Keep up the good Faz`, Faz` ;) lol

Haha I was just toying with you also :P

Good luck with this anyway man, there is a lot of potential in this engine. It's just getting it out there and creating a product that is accessible. With some hard work, who knows, it could just pay off VERY nicely :)

I think the way to go for ezRPG would be the package deal.

I unfortunately at the moment I don't have the time to undertake such a project on my own.

I could however see it being successful as a collaborative effort. However in that case people would just create and sell their own mods on their own, which is fine too.

In either case I am actually working on a site that will help further this cause, for any engine.

I think the problem is that not enough people want to risk their time on a completely free engine.

My thoughts on it are if a person is serious about making a good game, and they are using a free engine, then they are probably planning on spending some serious cash on the development, if not cash, time.

Edited by Arson

Not always true because sometimes people just quick upload something for a "get rich quick scheme" and they usually fail...by this i mean they use a free engine and put a donation option so everything they make is 100% profit.

For the people before basically saying people under 16 do not try to better there coding and that its above their level to code is false i have the patience to code a custom game from a white page up to a possible empire in the future. I still working on it but i will get it done :)

I was 16 when I started coding, so of course there are exceptions.

Heck, I started learning PHP by backwards engineering MCCodes.

The difference was I actually enjoyed it, instead of just seeing it as a means to easy money...