MakeWebGames

ModernMafia - Noticed

Hello MakeWebGames,

So, I don't have proof ,but a few of you saw his thread he just posted recently about two designs that he has done. I am not sure why it was deleted right away, but he was using images from designs I made for my clients to sell to people on here. He just recently had two designs up for sale and the first one he pretty much used 90% of the images (including: bg, stat_bar, footer, navigation bar, icons, etc). I am going to say he should not be trusted if you are buying a template from him as it is most likely not work of his.

Edit: Evidence

Thread: http://makewebgames.io/showthread.php/41323-templates-for-sale

Template: http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/7274/citywarin.png

Once again, I am not sure why a moderator deleted it right away without leaving it up so others can see as I posted all designs in which he used from me to create the template.

Thanks,

Peter Leaman

Edited by W3Theory || Peter

There is a difference with using ideas and using images CavellA. I am sorry you are not able to comprehend or even notice it. The crystal is a free icon yes MM, however you are no doubt using the one from that template and not from google and adding the style yourself.

To also say you created a design and then take all images from somewhere else and say you did is false and misleading.

Plus it is fine to use images to help out in the site, ones that are from a free source like MM pointed out on the metal bg. Though using images from my site which is for a paid client, I say is not allowed. Since he didn't just use that himself, he took what was on the template already, including the footer part as well....

This is to keep everyone informed.

Edited by W3Theory || Peter

@CavellA thanks for trying to back me just to say lets end it here, i changed images around, and im not trying to sell it for a big profit, if i spend time searching around im sure i can find these images somewhere on the net, peter i dont think you do custom work meaning designing from scratch most of your template have images from the net re-designed and you sell these for $200 ripping off people just cause you add some nice effects to the images its still not worth $200, i never said my self they are custom its something i done in my spare time, and back to the owner i could easily re-design them using the same structer then it wont belong to you no longer i didnt because it was the time and how much it was going on sale for so i didnt want to make something custom because if i did it would have not been on sale for $50-60 it would be alot more and most of you lot wont buy thats why i didnt do it, it would have been a waste of my time..clearing up i just want to say it will either stay on sale but all images i've used i will make my own it will be still in that structer or i might end sale and bin them...

Well even if you don't want to make even any profit you don't have the right to use Peter work without previous agreement with him. That's mean that if you use any of his work you are doing a copyright infringement => illegal stuff. If you try to sell it or re-distribute it or use it for your own Peter could sue you. Leave the discussion about how easy it is to sue somebody else and if it makes sense. That's something else.

To come back to your problem, you could reuse some ideas in general sense, but even re-doing the same look all by your own would be a copyright infringement. So as rule, don't use any image you find somewhere and you didn't do by your own. The only images you may use are stock pictures where you bought a license or which have some sort of open content license. In both case read carefully the license, as usually you are not allowed to sell or re-distribute work based on them. Stock pictures licenses say usually you can use it for one work, and if you want to sell it more than once you need to buy additional licenses. Open content items are even worse as if you use them you can't even sell one copy as open content act as a virus and force you to re-distribute derivative work as open content.

So, be careful when you use art made by others... you will quiet certainly infringe some copyright / license, and therefore you may be sued or asked to drop the derivative work. Therefore do the work yourself, draw it, take pictures or whatever but don't re-use.

Sorry I don't agree. You don't like his work, fine, you can avoid to hire him. But it's not because you don't like a car that you are allowed to steal it. Same applies here to his work.

Yet personally, knowing how much work it is to create an even ok template, I can tell you that 200$ is not a rip off. How much time do you think it is? To do the art you may take between 2-10 hours (depends on the complexity) or even more. For the HTML / CSS you may take up to 1-3 hours to make something exactly how you want it. So let's assume you are on the small side, 3 hours for the art and 2 hours for the HTML / CSS and you end up with 5 hours of work... 200$ ? Means 40$ per hour, which is not extremely cheap but it's not a rip off either.

I asked once to a company how much it would cost me to just make the design and html of a single page. The offer was... 3000$ ! Of course I refused but it shows how much companies ask for the same job, and shows why I don't believe Peter rip you off. Also knowing him, he would be more than happy to change the design to fit your need, yet of course that doesn't mean he will work for you forever for the same 200$ So be precise, show some examples of what you want, or give him at least a color scheme.

So please Samz don't start such discussion as it's pure non sense.

Well according to what modernmafia previously said .

We can steal stuff off site , and when owner comes right in , you can just say I made it myself just by looking at yours -.-

Then WHY THE HELL DO WE HAVE A COPYRIGHT SYSTEM?? :@

and @CavellA .. Ive always wanted to tell you from reading your old posts... : Quit Being cocky and bossy .. U dont have to really interfere in everyones personal stuff .

damaged when something is posted in a public forum it is no more personal because personal issues are usually sorted of using irc or the messaging system mwg have.now we cant say it is a personal issue and just leave it.if it was a personal issue peter would never had started a thread and let people know the fact.

It is fine that you do not like my work, as everyone has their style. CavellA, you are definitely not sure what is going on here. The difference between me and MM. The navi bar and menu bar, I create on my own. Yes, I use a stock photo for the bg of a template or maybe a skyscape, however the rest of the designs are done from scratch. MM, took my images (such as the navi and menu bars and styled of icons or even the stat bar which I created on my own) and just copied and pasted them. Since they are not open source, designs I created, he is illegally using them. I am lost on where your train of thought is that it is okay to take something I created for someone else and use it. BIG difference with a stock photo and an image I created.

#CavellA: I didn't just influence apparently I also gave him the images. If he just copied my style, that is fine and I am okay with that. However, he did not just copy my style but went beyond and stole images that I did CREATE for other clients. Plus talking about prices. He is basically selling for the same amount I am haha. 100$ for two psds and not the xthml/css.

This should really be between Peter and ModernMafia, others should mind their own, and leave it to them to sort out. Unless you have evidence that includes yourself into this equation.

Peter is a nice guy, and has dealt with the majority template creators who have stolen his work or ideas, ect... He probably would have no problem with you asking if you can use his work in a template your creating all you needed to do is message him, not hard to do or ask him, if he had said no respect that answer, and you will have more respect from him, and maybe later on down the road he will eventually say go ahead lol.

It's just the idea people are ripping his work that he spent time in creating, and reproducing them without even trying to ask his permission. It's not about the image it's the respect you don't give to the creator who created it and the idea imo...

Theres a difference being being cocky and having a point in what you say with facts to back it up. I am partial owner of SW and I couldn't care less if he uses some of the images not that its our call. I reply to posts that I feel like replying to lol nothing is personal if its being put right on the internet for all to see. Whats the use of arguing on and continuing to get no where? As far as bossy ummm not sure when I may have come across that way but meh ok.

Oh are you ? How much have you invested??PM me lol thought we are from difrrent world xD

damaged when something is posted in a public forum it is no more personal because personal issues are usually sorted of using irc or the messaging system mwg have.now we cant say it is a personal issue and just leave it.if it was a personal issue peter would never had started a thread and let people know the fact.

Cant you see the main topic is about Peter and modernmafia ..He is using my template , thats why i am interferring.. So doesnt mean everyone in the entire forum has to interfere and make the problem go beyond what it was :/

This should really be between Peter and ModernMafia, others should mind their own, and leave it to them to sort out. Unless you have evidence that includes yourself into this equation. .

Exactly what i ve been trying to say

wow!! thats amazing damaged city how can you tell that "This should really be between Peter and ModernMafia, others should mind their own, and leave it to them to sort out. Unless you have evidence that includes yourself into this equation. ." this makes no sense.As i told before if peter wanted this matter to be personal he could have sorted this out using the irc chat or messages.Now come on if you had a fight with one of your online friends will you start a new thread or sort it out in emails and chats.

What peter want is us to know what modern mafia is doing.And he have no problem with us interfering.If he dint want us to interfere than he would never had started a open thread in a public forum.

Now lemme give you another example.If you and your girlfriend had some serious issue would you guys sort it out by posting on each other walls(in facebook) or using the chat.

Dude... Thats different matter and this is another matter

And when did this topic become about interfering ..

I just told CavelA to quit being bossy and cocky and stay away from other's stuff and i didn't tell him to stay away from this thread.. I told by seeing his old threads and comments on others threads ,he is being too bossy ...that doesnt mean he have to stay away from this

There are topics which in top itself written Only or Alain or someone else

he interferes.. Ive seen YOU interfering .. Whats the use ?? Why take over threads ..Does it make you think that you are a king or something ??

NO ,You all are just some programmers just like the others maybe with extra talents or maybe not ..

Edited by Damagedcity.com

#CavellA: I didn't just influence apparently I also gave him the images. If he just copied my style, that is fine and I am okay with that. However, he did not just copy my style but went beyond and stole images that I did CREATE for other clients. Plus talking about prices. He is basically selling for the same amount I am haha. 100$ for two psds and not the xthml/css.

You sure you sell PSD's for $50 each lol, im sure you charge $200 for it to be coded too lool so you are trying to say you charge $50 a psd design and $150 for coding when i asked you to code me more difficult template then what you create you quote me $30-50 does make sense and stop claiming they are stock photos now i know you dont buy them you just google stuff and re-design them.

Dude... Thats different matter and this is another matter

And when did this topic become about interfering ..

I just told CavelA to quit being bossy and cocky and stay away from other's stuff and i didn't tell him to stay away from this thread.. I told by seeing his old threads and comments on others threads ,he is being too bossy ...that doesnt mean he have to stay away from this

There are topics which in top itself written Only or Alain or someone else

he interferes.. Ive seen YOU interfering .. Whats the use ?? Why take over threads ..Does it make you think that you are a king or something ??

NO ,You all are just some programmers just like the others maybe with extra talents or maybe not ..

So what if they interfere it backing someone, its there views their opinions why you have a problem how does it effect you?

And so what if cavellA comments are making him sound bossy and cocky again how does it effect you?

+Thread is for everyone, he opened it about me so everyone has their rights to comment otherwise as proto said he would have pm me or on chat

Edited by modernmafiia