MakeWebGames

3D modelling question

a_bertrand

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to make a game in Unity. An FPS to be exact. I know, it's a lot of work but its a long term project because I have exams etc. I am trying to do a military one and I am using blender. The fbx exporter doesn't export textures. Any ideas on how to either: get the textures to work or where I could find some free assets I could use in my scenes?

Thanks Very Much,

Coly010

Normally models do NOT include textures directly. You normally have only the material information, and then need to re-apply textures one the imported material. For what I tries in Unity it is always like that for any kind of file format I tried. BTW Procedural texture will not work as well as per-face textures. You need to have a correct UV map setup for your object and in case you need to, bake the texture in your 3D modeling software.

For a FPS, well it's actually not such a big project. Unity offers most of what you need to create one. You will just need to create the levels and the objects.

Free assets, sorry I never looked into things like that as I'm a strong believer that if you re-use free to use objects people will spot them miles away.

I'm trying to make a game in Unity. An FPS to be exact. I know, it's a lot of work but its a long term project because I have exams etc. I am trying to do a military one and I am using blender. The fbx exporter doesn't export textures. Any ideas on how to either: get the textures to work or where I could find some free assets I could use in my scenes?

Thanks Very Much,

Coly010

Quite a few resources here just make sure to read the license in which they're released.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if Blender has the ability to export in an FBX format as I have never even figured out how to install the program, but, I have used several models from several different resources to create FBX files that import to Unity fairly well no matter what the origin or program. This has not worked for animating objects in Unity tho .... I would suggest scouring the forums on the unity developer pages for more information on blender to unity issues. http://forum.unity3d.com/