MakeWebGames

What Version Control Software do you use?

Nickson

What Version Control Software do you use?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What Version Control Software do you use?

• Bazaar
    • Git
    • Mercurial / HG
    • Subversion
    • Other
    • None
    • SourceSafe
    • Team Foundation Server

Revision Control Software, Version Control Software, ... is probably one of the more important tools that a lot of professional (people who do it on a daily base as job) developers use. I know this might leave out many of our members, yet I still found in an interesting topic to bring up! Maybe it can lead to some uncovering knowledge about these tools and maybe, just maybe that some of our more serious developers might start to use it as well, or at least look into it.

I have not given explanation or introduction as to what revision control software actually is on purpose. You either know what it is or you don't. If you don't know it, you probably aren't using it either ;) Depending on the replies and interest, I might write out a thread about the differences and such.

I would like to gain a healthy discussion about the different flavours and not a flame war..

There are many more options available than those listed in the polls, but I tried to take the more common options. If you wish to speak about others, please do!

So.. what version control software do you use? What are your experiences with VCS?

I only use SVN once in a while, but for most smaller projects I actually use none, however I have the feeling that I might be checking out GIT soon, not that I have any specific reason.

I can imagine that once you're used to it, that it actually is a major improvement between versions of your package. I mean, you reach a point where all features work, you commit, you start to work on another feature locally. As long as that feature doesn't work, the main branch doesn't have any issues whatsoever. You finish your feature, you commit, main branch is updated to the last point where all goes well. Did that last feature have a nasty bug? well then you can just roll-back to a previous point with a simple command. I'm quite sure you can't roll back that easily if you're not using a VCS. Now it probably has it's disadvantages that are quite scary at first. I'm still in this stage at the moment :p

Things I wonder, and which I can google rather easily but have not done yet are these. How long is the learning curve in order to work properly with a VCS? Learning how to commit isn't very hard, but I wonder how long it will take one to properly learn how to work with trunks, branches and all of these kinds of things. It might not be as important for a single developer though, but still..

Another thing I have been asking myself for a while is storage related. I'm not sure how much actions (commit, add, del, ..) happen in a large project with multiple developers, but lets say that a single developer uses about 2500 of these actions. All of these changes are stored somehow, but in the end, how much extra space does it take in general?

VCS => Version Control Systems (for those like me which don't use acronyms every days)

I usually don't work with branches as it tends to be time consuming and error prone to work on two branches at the same time. The storage involved in using a VCS depends a lot on the VCS you use.

For the SVN repository I use every days at work (and we are currently 4 developers on it) we use 23Mb for about 279'000 lines of code and some binaries. The repository is 2 years old.