MakeWebGames

New game

SacreBleu

Hey guys and girls,

I've hosted a ready-made script from the guys at 2Moons.

The game is peculiarly similar to the popular online browser game oGame, however with a few tweaks and optimisations.

It's vastly different from the abundance of Mafia games, presented here (hence the title: "New game").

We'd like to welcome you to take a small peek.

tl;dr version

Origins

Originally, I wanted to host a mafia type of game, however, I am quite limited when it comes to programming and we have no desire

to spend capital on hiring one, either.

Together with the fact, that there are a plethora of mafia games out there already, I doubt we'd bring anything new to the table, with MCcodes

or another engine.

This is nothing short of a small side-project, that we're hoping to expand a little bit when our knowledge of internet programming languages increases.

As it stands now, the game is not customised in many ways -- we've added a few tweaks to the game and template, but nothing major.
The game pace has been increased for more pleasure and faster progression, we're still looking for the optimal settings, but with playtesting 
and an increasing user base, we can use your comments to optimise this and tailor it to the requests of the players.

You can visit the website and register here:

Log

What has been added:

• Small template update in main overview, looks a little bit better.
  • New graphics for planets and moons.
  • Screenshots to the screenshots page. --Thanks go to, Sim for reporting it.

What has been fixed:

• Mail functionality, was not working correctly, has been fixed.
  • Error message concerning minimum password length. (Message mentioned four characters while minimum was six) --- Thank you Spud for reporting this!
  • Screenshot page not displaying any screenshots
  • Major and minor spelling and grammar mistakes. (They are still there, but being fixed regularly.)

What will be modified.

• The template will, likely, see new revisions -- I am trying to brush my PHP skills and edit the template baby steps at a time, so far I am just screwing up alot, but it's fun nonetheless.
  • Background image on main page, this is the standard image and we're currently photoshopping a new custom background.
  • Our own forums, so people can use it as a communications hub for in-game politics and discussions.
  • Grammar and spelling mistakes in the translation from German to English.

Aims

Primarily, my aim was to bring more attention to other scripts, most communities I've run into, including MWG, were primarily focussed on scripts such as MCcodes and the likes.

These scripts lend themselves well to Mafia oriented games, but usually most of these games, apart from their template, look strikingly familar, thus in many ways, the template decides more than the actual game.

2Moons is different from Mafia games in many, many ways.

Foremost, it does not have any Mafia to begin with, and it's a sci-fi game that has a mechanic vastly different from Mafia oriented games.

Feedback

Constructive feedback is welcomed, by no means are you obligated to only compliment or tell us that you like the game, however, considering the aims, our current (dis)position, there is no value in telling us that the code is not different, not customised, or anything of the likes of that.

As this is already reflected in this post.

Bug reports

You can use this thread to report issues with the game, until we have deployed our own forum,

I wish to keep everything as close as possible to my own hosting services, and do not wish to use MWG as my hub.

If you have registered you can also use the in-game ticket system, or messaging system to notify us of a bug.

When a bug is reported whe'll do everything, within our knowledge and capabilities, to combat and remedy the bug.

Source

If you like the code, you can download a copy from the 2Moons forum at: 2Moons forums

Edited by SacreBleu
Change OP to reflect, initial intentions.

Thank you for the comments, thus far.

I was more looking for more constructive feedback, I understand some of you don't like the engine, but haven't bothered to share 'why'.

The template will undergo some changes, but not many we're pleased with the standard look, even though it's generic, and we'll change a few bits and pieces here and there.

We're not looking to be succesful, it's primarily meant for a very, very confined community and since much of what is being displayed here is mafia related I thought it'd be fun

to showcase something else, regardless, thanks for the output.

I wasn't aware the source for that was open-source, however it's playable, it works and it has some appeal which is more than can be said for most of the products discussed here.

Thematically, the reliance on a small serif font is not ideal as is the requirement to scroll many pages. I could also mention the starkness of the theme but perhaps I've just grown used to low-contrast colors. None of which is relevant to actual gameplay. As a whole, I tend to like the genre though perhaps it needs something else to really shine. What I know not, I just have the feeling it needs that extra "spark".

There are certainly bugs; some visual, some logical, though nothing that cannot be sorted out with a little attention to detail. As for gameplay, too early to tell yet although going by other products that I've seen using a similar codebase, there are some minor grievances I had with certain aspects. That is however a personal viewpoint, rather than a criticism of the game itself

Well the script is Aesthetically terrible as well as the Usability Aspects of the game. The content is inconsistent and because of the inconsistency some pages have so much space it just looks retarded while other dont have room to breath. While the width is inconsistent it looks as though the height is to since some of the pages go into what it looks like should be some sort of copyright section. Just on the login page there are grammar errors and even without that it looks like a 10 year old wrote it (if your actually 10, Good Job ;)) Thats all I can tell you without actually logging in (which I wouldn't waste my time doing). Based on what I've seen so far the usual exploits in SQL and flaws in PHP could more than likely still be abused. If you dont know how to test these, go to the websites forum and look for all the bugs users/members have found in the script previously and it will save you alot of time. Hope it helps ;) Goodluck

I don't really understand your post.

You're talking about the script but you make comments about the template and CSS code.

I am not a programmer by any means, and my knowledge of HTML, php and CSS is, simply put, very limited. But from what I've seen the script (code) is pretty organised.

Grammar errors happen all the time, reading your post and the abundance of grammar and spelling mistakes I will not depend on your, insinuated, knowledge of English grammar.

As far as the SQL-injections and PHP flaws, a few searches rounded up only few results and many of them were in very old revisions, the code is being updated with regular revisions

on a weekly basis.

It seems your comments are only based on assumptions based on what you've seen from a login page and a few posted screenshots.

Regardless, I will thank you for your time to post.

I wasn't aware the source for that was open-source, however it's playable, it works and it has some appeal which is more than can be said for most of the products discussed here.

Thematically, the reliance on a small serif font is not ideal as is the requirement to scroll many pages. I could also mention the starkness of the theme but perhaps I've just grown used to low-contrast colors. None of which is relevant to actual gameplay. As a whole, I tend to like the genre though perhaps it needs something else to really shine. What I know not, I just have the feeling it needs that extra "spark".

There are certainly bugs; some visual, some logical, though nothing that cannot be sorted out with a little attention to detail. As for gameplay, too early to tell yet although going by other products that I've seen using a similar codebase, there are some minor grievances I had with certain aspects. That is however a personal viewpoint, rather than a criticism of the game itself

Yup, the code used is called 2Moons and is completely open-source and freely available from their forums.

I have to admit, I need to dabble in CSS, php and HTML to make something more of it, but my knowledge in the department is very, very lacking.

I've changed a few minor aspects of the template but nothing major.

The code is based on an online game called: "oGame" the 'old' version of oGame used a template design very, very similar to what 2Moons is using, with a few minor and major additions that were only available to either premium members of the actual game or were never implemented.

The game is currently running in vanilla mode, which makes much of the gameplay pretty tedious in the beginning since one does not have any research and only ample resources.

I'll dabble with the settings a little bit and try to find a good balance between time consument and actual gameplay.

Thanks for your insight, however, yours is very constructive :)

I totally agree, with you on the scrolling comment, it's tedious and has always been a negative aspect of oGame.

I'll see what I can do to make it more manageble, I have no idea how, but I am sure that a few hundred manhours and internet time will help me with that.

Edited by SacreBleu

lmfao meh no argument there but it has a huge amount of ppl to support beginners and a bunch of places to find the bugs and stuff so basically sucky code thats environmentally stable.

More popular, and a huge amount of users, does not equal a better or safer platform.

Dare I say, Windows?

For a beginner who knows nothing its safer if you have a brain and dont get scammed ;) If yo have an error you can damn near google MC and dozens of sites with people who can help you will come up. If you google that script you'd more than likely be stuck. I'd say you should have some knowledge of how to edit the code and how to find errors and stuff like that. Hard work is the key no matter what you use. Just give it 100% in the end and it will be fine.

I am no programmer, but I am competent enough to fix error messages.

Googling for errors also allows one to google for vulnerabilites, I can only see a slight advantage in the small community that is 2Moons.

Our infrastructure is competent too, SQL injection will get you nowhere, the only information one can steal is e-mail addresses and those are only good for SPAM.

The passwords are encrypted, and the so is the majority of the server.

We're not running an enterprise here, neither are we asking for currency to play, there is virtually no reason to instigate an attack, and if one would be launched, no harm

would be done, and no information would be stolen.

Still, it is remarkable that you, somehow, are able to spot a website that is supposedly vulnerable to malicious attacks by only looking at screenshots, particularly ones that only

seem to showcase some features and the template.

But I tire of this discussion, it was not my intention to steer away from the topic, I merely wanted to show people there are more engines available and not all web games have

to be about mafia.

So far that web site has been running solidly for a few months now, without errors or performance problems, granted that might change when and if our active members number picks up,

but seeing that my version is newer than a well-known Polish website that runs the same game, and still regularly receives over 200 members.

It's safe to say, the code is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be.

Registration page: Javascript alert saying "password must be at least 4 characters", "1234" is four characters, but doesn't validate.

Also, within the alert the last few characters "Ion...", I don't think it fits?

I'll see what I can do to fix that error message the minimum is 6 characters. I haven't got a clue why it says you need a minimum of four.

I'll try to look into it asap

EDIT: The error message is fixed.

Meh ;) keep messing around with Sh*tty open source engines and youll get enough experience to spot a vulnerable spot at first sight also . Plus my old partner runs the same engine so I have seen some of the source before. But you dont have to take my word for it, I personally dont see that site EVER being one someone targets or even cares to attack. But then again i personally dgaf either way, its only what "I" see mixed with my experiences and my opinions. Nothing more.

It's not that I doubt your experience, knowledge or don't value your opinion.

It's your preragotive not to like the engine, perhaps even despise it, I am completely in peace with that.

It seemed however, that you were commenting primarily on the screenshots instead of the experience, it was not apparent that you had a partner that so happens

to use the same engine.

Edited by SacreBleu

Interesting although hardly surprising for this place how a simple request for a light-hearted critique turns into a "mines-bigger-than-yours" / "yours-blows" not to mention rather off-topic argument.

I for one actually like the game; I've no wish to try and subvert it; I'm interested in seeing how a character, if that is the correct term, develops. Juggling resources in an effort to provide an optimal path through the various stages of the game is made complex by not having prior experience thus for me; it's fresh. I stand by my statements regarding the theme, however font-size and family are simple enough to tweak at my end with the facilities of any half decent browser to make it somewhat more readable.

I installed a copy myself out of curiosity, though I've no intention of running a public facing game - the code is like a lot of open-source scripts - there are good points and bad points and I suspect that most if not all people here with an interest in PHP programming could benefit from at least one part or more.

Minor grammatical, and spelling errors aside, I repeat again my earlier statement about there being some small errors, but they are just that. A decent team of testers paying attention to the site could report most of these within a few days. Fixing them; at least for me; is one of the reasons I enjoy programming, and I've no doubt the OP has a similar mindset.

As was mentioned, the game is in Beta at the moment, thus I expect certain features to be offline or not functioning quite as expected; however the lack of screenshots is hardly something to be overly concerned about. Were it me, I'd be working hard on ensuring the gameplay itself works nicely; once that stage is complete, perhaps during RC phases I'd employ somebody to grab some decent screenies in number of browsers showing different aspects of the game - idealy both early and late game to show some of the features players can strive for.

All in all - I like it; Whether I continue to play or not is based on my experiences within the game, not other peoples assumptions accurate or otherwise about the quality of the code or the security. Putting work into the game from what I can understand from the admin panel is not just limited to code / theme; but the ability to tune the parameters that control gameplay mean that many changes can be made hopefully gradually in a production server. Taking the time from there to add other building types, research forks, defensive measures etc - may be possible however like most things a good understanding of the database and code would be needed as well as the experience of listening to players and watching their interactions.

Interesting although hardly surprising for this place how a simple request for a light-hearted critique turns into a "mines-bigger-than-yours" / "yours-blows" not to mention rather off-topic argument.

I for one actually like the game; I've no wish to try and subvert it; I'm interested in seeing how a character, if that is the correct term, develops. Juggling resources in an effort to provide an optimal path through the various stages of the game is made complex by not having prior experience thus for me; it's fresh. I stand by my statements regarding the theme, however font-size and family are simple enough to tweak at my end with the facilities of any half decent browser to make it somewhat more readable.

I installed a copy myself out of curiosity, though I've no intention of running a public facing game - the code is like a lot of open-source scripts - there are good points and bad points and I suspect that most if not all people here with an interest in PHP programming could benefit from at least one part or more.

Minor grammatical, and spelling errors aside, I repeat again my earlier statement about there being some small errors, but they are just that. A decent team of testers paying attention to the site could report most of these within a few days. Fixing them; at least for me; is one of the reasons I enjoy programming, and I've no doubt the OP has a similar mindset.

As was mentioned, the game is in Beta at the moment, thus I expect certain features to be offline or not functioning quite as expected; however the lack of screenshots is hardly something to be overly concerned about. Were it me, I'd be working hard on ensuring the gameplay itself works nicely; once that stage is complete, perhaps during RC phases I'd employ somebody to grab some decent screenies in number of browsers showing different aspects of the game - idealy both early and late game to show some of the features players can strive for.

All in all - I like it; Whether I continue to play or not is based on my experiences within the game, not other peoples assumptions accurate or otherwise about the quality of the code or the security. Putting work into the game from what I can understand from the admin panel is not just limited to code / theme; but the ability to tune the parameters that control gameplay mean that many changes can be made hopefully gradually in a production server. Taking the time from there to add other building types, research forks, defensive measures etc - may be possible however like most things a good understanding of the database and code would be needed as well as the experience of listening to players and watching their interactions.

Thanks for the feedback, like all feedback I've receive it's greatly appreciated.

I'll try to look into those spelling errors and grammar errors, suffice to say, the game was translated from German to English, they did a particular good job in translating the marjority correctly.

When I am done with my last exam, I'll devote more time to a better template and fixing the cosmetical errors that are present.

The template will take a very long time, but I'll put something online for you with less sparky colours and a different font, I'll notify you when the theme is available.

Also, if you happen to jump across any game breaking error, or otherwise, don't hesitate to file a ticket.

I am playing the game myself, but experiences may vary between browsers, I heard that IE is the worst when it comes to 2Moons and Firefox is the best choice.

On another note, I've added some, easter eggs when registering,

I've changed the error messages to more, entertaining ones, not major, but fun nontheless. :)

In my opinion, it's just like any other oGame out there. Nothing unique or interesting about it. Sorry but to say a new game, it's not. To slap on a title and add a little graphics to it doesn't mean it's a new game. No new format that I can see really brings a uniqueness to the game.

The topic's title was in reference to the abundance of Mafia games being presented here, not our insinuation that we created a new game, as mentioned in the OP.

In other related news:

The OP has been modified to present a more accurate picture of what we're doing, and what we're hoping to achieve.

Bear with us, as we're trying, as hard as we can, to increase our competence with PHP and the code of the source-code.

Edited by SacreBleu