MakeWebGames

What makes a good post?

Rory_M

Interesting. Hoping you get a good set of replies here, and new members read this lol.

What I think makes a good post is dependent on what you want your post to do. If you are looking for help on bug fixing (for example), make your problem clear and concise, including lines of code where necessary. If you are looking for opinions on something you have created, let the reader know what your project is/was, and don't write "positive comments only". That's my pet hate. When looking for opinions, there are such things as constructive comments, which in the long run will help you see the errors of your ways.

Also, in generalities, I like reading posts that have a good bit of substance to them, not ones by people looking to increase their post count. I also like posts which are well-written (I understand people can't spell as well or whatever) but there is people who take the mick, with comments like "dis is broke. fix for me". And finally, there's nothing more frustrating than reading someone who offends those trying to help for no reason whatsoever. You see far too many of those on here.

Kieran i no what you are saying, it is much better to write here here are my reasons and format your text:

Example 1:

I think that this and this and this more text her, waffle, waffle and waffle.

Example 2:

My Reasons

1) Reason 1

2) Reason 2

Conclusion

Example to is a lot more professional and easier to read.

Depends what kind of thread –

Tutorial – in depth explanation of the subject with examples of practical uses.

Help thread – A shown example of your attempt, and a respectable attitude especially towards those putting time in to help you. The response should be as detailed as possible in order to help the original poster.

Request – Explain what you want, budget if any etc...

Partnership – staying to the template given in the rules.

Paid work request – Showing past works, giving list of current skill set, and if possible recommendations from others (clearly this should be posted by them).

Responding –

1) Clear (as in paragraphs etc)

2) Productive (so it contributes to the actual thread/ topic of thread, and not just random spam/flaming)

3) Respectable. In this I mean not calling someone a noob for not knowing etc...

4) Above more or less everything else for me: No slang. I understand not everyone is English speaking (as a first language I mean...) but slang is often hard to understand. If all else fails use word, and spell check it.

A good forum post is something which is informative, and is not a massive big long paragraph. No-one likes reading a big massive post. Similar to the one above - Looked at it, and thought 'no way im reading all that'.

Or you don't have the brain power to comprehend anything more than 4 letter words or "text speak". If you want something more along your level, go sit in a chat room. A forum works differently in case you haven't noticed, hence why short non-sensical posts are deleted.

Rory_M, I don't agree that it's looks more professional, although it's nicer in that format for, say, requests, so you know what exactly the person is looking for.

Or you don't have the brain power to comprehend anything more than 4 letter words or "text speak". If you want something more along your level, go sit in a chat room. A forum works differently in case you haven't noticed, hence why short non-sensical posts are deleted.

Rory_M, I don't agree that it's looks more professional, although it's nicer in that format for, say, requests, so you know what exactly the person is looking for.

If your wanting to insult me, then theres a great feature called the PM system. People like you really drive me round the bend.

A good post means the following to me:

- decent grammar

- decent structure (if it's a long one)

- stays on topic, either with the original post or the discussion of the thread

- has some useful content

- is posted at the right place

• 1 month later...

One that does not use the word or words.... newbie, idiot, stupid, I wouldn't use it, "pfft" not referring to you Danny....Lol.... Negative posts really make me mad. A forum is supposed to be a place where you have a community of people who are willing to help someone out no matter how stupid the question. We are all making games here so should we not all be on the same side? Constant fighting between coders about things that could be better or "that is my mod and I can prove it"...wanna fight behind the school at 3:00....get out your guns. However funny those posts are it does show the ages of the posters. We should be a family not enemies. Just my 2 cents.