MakeWebGames

Firefox 5.0 is out

a_bertrand

Firefox 5.0 has been released... now what new?

- Allows to define which site is allowed to track you and which one is not.

- CSS animations

- More HTML 5 (don't know yet exactly what)

- Should be faster on Linux

Is it worth a version 5? Certainly not. This is because of stupid Chrome versions which increase like the days of the calendar, other browser developers think they should as well.

I installed FF 5 on my PC and saw... no difference beside this privacy new option in the preferences. Great...

Urgh, Honestly I'm going to wait ... I'll see where and how it will all evolve. Honestly I don't like it either that software releases a new version every couple of months. It's fine if there is an update or a bug fix, but 3 new releases per year ... can't be good or changes will just be stupid.

Well, they did say they were going to adopt a more "google-like" update schedule. If its a new one every 3 months, than it would mean 4 versions per year.. which isn't that bad.

I haven't tested FF5 yet, but will get around to it eventually.

Well 4 MAJOR versions a year is a lot, and yet if they have nothing changed between version I hardly see the need for a major release. Sorry but software release numbers are really old and do have some meaning. Major.Minor.Patch which means, you change the major number when you really change a lot, like introducing tons of new feature, changing interface or whatever. This should not be all that often. Also a major release may introduce breaking changes. Minor means you added a few things, could be mainly improvements. Patch versions are just bug fixes or very small things.

Now as Google feel better than anyone else, as always "manie des grandeur" => "grandeur mania" is their sickness and yet believe we are stupid enough to believe that new number to a software means the software is better. Nope sorry... people will simply stop upgrading every now and then.

I was personally happy with firefox 3.0 before they upgraded it, there was nothing wrong with that version then it was upgraded to 3.1-3.6 which was stupid and they added that plugin-container that stalls constantly supposedly it suppose to detect plugins and be fast but its actually slowing the process.

there was a firefox 4.0.1 it was the update that patched the bug were no one could update to the next version

and firefox 4 had very little support for html5 and still wass till missing a lot of things in css3

so im guessing that they have added a lot and caught up with support for html5 and css3 to catch up with google chrome and safari

Edited by bluegman991

just checked the 5.0 release notes page and it came with

- New feature: fabulous tabs

- Added support for CSS animations

- The Do-Not-Track header preference has been moved to increase discoverability

- Tuned HTTP idle connection logic for increased performance

- Improved canvas, JavaScript, memory, and networking performance

- Improved standards support for HTML5, XHR, MathML, SMIL, and canvas

- Improved spell checking for some locales

- Improved desktop environment integration for Linux users

- WebGL content can no longer load cross-domain textures

- Background tabs have setTimeout and setInterval clamped to 1000ms to improve performance

+ over 900 security and stability fixes

well im sure they have their reasons *for releasing a major version*

i dont keep track of other browser versions but there has to be some reason both firefox and ie are already to release another major version with the last major version just coming out of the box

but im hoping that this new version will have just as much support for html5 and css3 as google chrome has because i am looking forward to changing it back to my default browser :D

Edited by bluegman991
didn't state what i was talking about

there is a good reason why browser don't have all the same support for HTML5... currently HTML5 specs are NOT released and just draft more or less. Which means the standard is not yet fully defined. Which means as well that browser cannot really implement it as it's not yet clear as how all things shall works, and google don't really follow all that HTML5 / CSS3 instead create their own "dialect" which is not a wise choice.

• 2 weeks later...