27 members have voted

1. 1. Most important part of a game

• Background story
    • Graphics
    • Plot / quests / missions
    • Music
    • Feature list
    • People which plays it

Gameplay and community are probably the most important parts of a game. No proper community means you're all by yourself, which makes it boring and if there is no nice gameplay well then you're just playing a boring game ;)

But the kind of game also plays a big role in this, a text-rpg or a stategic first person shooter ask for a different kind of feeling towards the player too.

Just look at all the mccode games and maybe the best example of that style of game, torncity. It are all text based games which have hardly any graphics, no music, quests or missions are limited to nothing and a background story isn't found anywhere either. Yet some of these games are very successful. So it really depends on the type of game. COD just requires a totally different composition than a text based RPG.

• 2 weeks later...

Id have to say community...I almost went with quests missions and such, but lets face it there are games with thousands of players that have crappy graphics, story lines, and coding... Here is the punch tho...you have to have something to draw that community to begin with. I can remember 6 years ago working on a sig designing site and having someone come in to request a signature for a text based game. I thought to myself why the heck would anyone ever want to play such a thing? Being a very curious person by nature, I registered to the game looked around and was bored within a few hours, but then I decided to browse the forums. Now the forums peaked my interest , but my real downfall was that first time I joined mIRC...5 years later I still log into that game from time to time to visit. I spent a good year of my life volunteering as staff on that game. I found people I enjoyed being around...and that is the only reason I can give you for why.

I have noticed that game admins / staff are not on the list...... In all honesty, a game can have all of the above, but if it is run poorly, I'm done with it. No matter how great the coding, story, community, and artwork, if you don't have a staff that will / can do their jobs and keep things fair, its not worth the time and effort to play. There are a million other games out there just like this one where I can find staff who will stop cheaters and do their jobs.

Well I'd have to go with community too and second Jeff on that. I'm sure there are games out there that are so awesome with detailed mods and storylines, but unfortunately they just don't have the community and therefore the game wouldn't be enjoyable.