MakeWebGames

All these supposedly changes

Spudinski

All these changes are driving me nuts, I can't do anything anymore.

I don't think a forum is supposed to have to come with a 200 page manual just to figure out how to read a post, I really think it's over-rated.

A few new things I dislike about this "new" forum is;

PM Inbox - OK, granted it's being corrected

Unread links - This forum doesn't have any "Unread topics" or "Recent replies to your posts" navigation links, all I can do is try to remember each topic name I posted in and try to search for it

Board Index - I can't seem to find anything, and it's useless trying to do something about it

Theme - This theme is also driving me insane, it's a simple design for simple content, but this forum is for complex or long-orientated matters

I don't know how, but this forum is supposed to have allot new features, but I can't seem to find anything that's better than the occasional graphic that's rendered another colour

Also, If there is anything better about the forum, it's surely back-end or on the administration panels.

Anyone agree with me, because I think this change might just cause a huge amount of active users to go and find another place to share their experiences and knowledge.

I've heard from people that have been here for more than a year is leaving, and among others, doesn't approve with the new changes.

Spudinski, I would say to go to your profile and check all the settings how you can customize the board to your likings.

Also the last posts etc will be added again, is simply not activated at this point as it will hold additional features.

And there are always people complaining and saying they will leave, we had that on CE also more than once yet a year later they are still there. And the userbase grows constantly as board activity.

CE changed from IPB > phpBB > SMF > (1 week vBulletin) > SMF and now WBB

Yea several parts have still to be tweaked but explain the top nav please POG1

As for recent topics etc

Search Box Pulldown

• Unread posts
  • Unreplied threads
  • Threads of the last 24 hours

Additionally after a logout and back in you will get a msg to show the new posts since last visit.

Now this can be heavy extended but I think it's best to have everyone get settled with the already overwhelming stuff.

Possibility of extending it:

Members can integrate boxes containing the latest posts and threads into the index page, as well as into any board page. These boxes contain – depending on the settings – the latest three to fifteen posts and threads of a custom selection of boards. Every list can also be accessed as a stand-alone page or as a RSS feed, and registered users can fully customize the design and contents of the »Latest Posts and Threads«-boxes in their user profile.

There are people who like it too, I'm sure of that as we've had positive comments as well. Please give it some time, it will better ;)

It's like changing from a manual transmission to an automatic one, you need to get used to it, but you'll be able to drive, just like you are able to post.

I do suggest having the basic free mod section and paid mods the same as before
Then we go back to a solely mccode board, which we try to expand to not only mccode. Giving people a chance to experiment and try out other engines and write modifications for. I have a big list of game engines/scripts to ad to the scripts vault. For example GloryLands which is imo already superior simply due to the usage of smarty as templating engine.

there is one small thing that going to push people away even the code tags mean that you have to copy and paste nice and slowly ctrl +a works if you want the line numbers to

Why would you copy the line numbers ? Just mark the source code div and ctrl-c

And next to copy/paste mod writers can also upload their mod to the scriptsvault and linking to their topic.

The Line numbers have also a advantage, discussions in the mod thread should make it easier to point out parts of the mod. eg at line 101 you could replace with ?????

• 3 weeks later...

In relation to Bye bye., I would just like to say...

I personally use my freedom of speech as much as possible, as it is a given right in most countries all over the world.

If you think "freedom of speech" is futile, it's really just your opinion, because some of the greatest accomplishments in history wouldn't be possible without "freedom of speech".

And among the other posts in that topic, what I find disturbing is the lack of maturity of a third of the posters in the topic.

All I can really say is that the first and last posts posted is actually constructive, but I feel it is unnecessary that you locked the topic seanybob, there were still allot to be conversed about.

But I really think that when administrators starts to argue and deminish fellow members of their network, it's really immature and informal.

The fact that the moderator takes the administrators side, and tries to get in the admin's good books, that really proves imaturity.

I do not discredit opinions and fews, even if it is from thirteen year olds, the fact remains; The initial was a constructive, well-formed post and even with decent use of the English language(which you don't find anywhere else on this particular forum).

To close off, I think that people's opinions should not be blown off, even the worts suggestions has to be gone trough respectedley and without the need to jump up when someone says something bad, it is constructive.

Administrators doesn't, and never will be able to think from a clients side of view, thus the reason for a Feedback board - if you only blow off feedback, why do you use it?

That rule was in place on the old forums as in here. The only place in the whole world where 'freedom of speech' exists kinda is Speakers Corner in London's Hyde Park. And even then Speakers there are allowed to speak as long as the police consider their speeches lawful.

So wherever you go true freedom of speech doesn't exist.

Quote from old forums, so nothing changed

CE Rules

Added to Global Rules 13 January 2009

1a. The freedom of speech is not absolute

Exercising freedom of speech always takes place within a context of competing values. Limitations to freedom of speech may follow the "harm principle" or the "offense principle" (eg "Hate Speech"), CE Staff can delete/edit posts without the need to explain why and put a warning level on the topic poster.

1b. Freedom of opinion is not absolute

Your opinion is valuable as long it doesn't change into a personal attack. Using real names, address etc is hereby forbidden. CE Staff can and will delete/edit posts without the need to explain why and put a warning level on the topic poster.

The topic was locked and partially edited by me and not by seanybob, moderators and supermoderators can reply on locked or disabled threads. Why edited and locked as the OP was making it a personal attack.

• 7 months later...