MakeWebGames

IE issue

Yuri_orlov

Re: IE issue

Yuri_orlov used incorrect terminology there. What he means by "downloading the php file", he's talking about the HTML output send from the server, not the php code itself.

From what I know, zlip will use gzip or deflate compression depending on what compression method the browser that access a page says it will accept.

It is possible to have the browser send out the HTTP Header specifying that it accepts a compression that it actually doesn't accept. It's called "shooting yourself in the foot".

IE 6 only accepts deflate. So if it's sending out the header: HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING with the value "gzip", it's telling php to encode the file with encoding it can't decode. IE 7 accepts both deflate and gzip, so I'd assume you're using a pretty old browser there (IE 8 is in beta at this point (why not upgrade to at least 7???))

Ultimately, HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING header is set by default to the correct setting, or it is not set at all which tells php to not encode the file. And as such, MOST browsers, including all IE browsers work fine when zlib is being used, so long as the default behaviour of the browser hasn't been modified.

most resent version

I think it may have something to do with the header location forwarding since it seems to happen mostly on pages where you are forwarded

IE Login.php (b/c the server defaults to index.php). Crimes.php -> validation (does the php dl thing) or you get the validation but when you are forwarded to the crimes it tries to dl crimes.

most recent version being? I should hope you're not using 5.3.0 RC2 :O :O

It's not intended for production. Please specify the actual x.x.x

Did you try the ob_start() deal? You'd have to disable lib giz in the ini first. It does pretty much the same exact thing. It's worth a shot.

<?php

ob_start("ob_gzhandler");

?>

<html>

<body>

This should be a compressed page.</p>

</html>

<body>

-----------

That's the example from the php page for ob_gzhandler()

Simply put, you put that function call at the beginning of your script, and that's it. (there's a bunch more you can do with "output buffereing" but that's beyond the scope of the problem you're having.

Thanks for replying with the PHP Version ;) (helps me know for sure what I'm saying applies to ya ;)

ok so I turned it off in the ini.

Every thing works fine (well on a double forward sometimes it has an issue and wont load the page but if you refresh it loads fine)

so I do ob_start("ob_gzhandler"); and the download or gibberish starts again...(in IE 7)

so does that mean I have found a bug in PHP?