MakeWebGames

Linux

Isomerizer

Re: Linux

Linux is free, but some "distributions" of linux are not. Distirbutions are nothing else as a packet of software which could contain also special softwares.

The installation of a linux distribution should be as easy as a windows installation. Afterward you may need a lot more knowledge to keep your installation hacker free, as you need to update it, block some services etc...

installing ubuntu was as easy as burning the iso to a cd, and putting it in the drive and restarting. it automatically partitioned my drive (i think), and installed easily, but it's hard to configure (for me, idk shit about linux).

Some good starting software though :D also you can run the OS without installing it, straight off the CD (if you want to try it)

installing ubuntu was as easy as burning the iso to a cd, and putting it in the drive and restarting. it automatically partitioned my drive (i think), and installed easily, but it's hard to configure (for me, idk shit about linux).

Some good starting software though :D also you can run the OS without installing it, straight off the CD (if you want to try it)

Ok i looked on the linux website, where theres a list of live c.d's. What version shall i download and burn ubuntu? Whats the best?

Ubuntu has kde, thats good.

It is free yes, most packages are to.

I would recommend ubuntu.

I recommend you installing software like firefox and things trough the built in package down loader/installer.

If you aren't familiar with linux, it will be very hard to get it running good at first.

After you know the basic's like wich folders is what, you will find it very good.

Here are a few basic things.

Your filesystems lowest folder root / contains the following folders:

/bin Essential user command binaries (for use by all users)

/etc Host-specific system configuration

/home User home directories. This is where you save your personal files

/lib Essential shared libraries and kernel modules

/opt Add-on application software packages

/usr /usr is the second major section of the filesystem. /usr is shareable, read-only data. That means that /usr should be shareable between various FHS-compliant hosts and must not be written to. Any information that is host-specific or varies with time is stored elsewhere.

/var /var contains variable data files. This includes spool directories and files, administrative and logging data, and transient and temporary files.

/proc System information stored in memory mirrored as files.

Read up on it here

vmware is and application for windows to run ubuntu on.

It is more eficiant.

You can pause, start, stop an os.

You can choose how much ram should it spend on that os.

Eh? Im confused, Noob At I.T :p. Its an application for windows? But my hardrive has nowt on, so how can i get that for windows? :? :? :?

VMWare is an application to run on windows which makes it possible to run MORE as one OS at the SAME time ... not only to run linux on windows.

It virtually devides your pc into "parts" which you can assign to a running OS. If you want to, you can run Win XP and Win Server 03 (or any other OS) at the same windows machine. The difference is that they are running simultaneous on one PC.

If you want to test out ubuntu: download it, burn it onto a disk and boot from that disk and play with it ... it will be a bit slow but if you really don't like it, you have no additional tasks. If you really like it, install it as dual boot and keep the windows partition(s), so you can still switch between them.