MakeWebGames

Hosting from home

-BRAIDZ-

Hi, I was just wondering how I would be able to host my site from my home computer?

Instead of paying for a hosting account, as I am pretty tight on cash at the moment, and find that this would be easier to host my game from my own computer rather than use a hosting site to host my domain.

Also is this an easy thing to do?

I haven't personally attempted this, but I would assume you'd port-forward port 80.

I wouldn't really recommend it, however. Slower connection speeds, and if (for whatever reason) you piss someone off, they can just turn on a bot network and down your home line.

The DDOS'ing could be fixed by having a dynamic IP, however, at least in my case, my ISP wants to charge $5 for each additional IP -_-

I suppose if you're just going to be hosting a dev environment to your devs, I'd use a VPN (Hamachi) and allow them to connect using the VPN IP.

- Slower internet speeds

- Insecure - no offence, but you're asking this question, so can't be a server whizz.

- unreliable - hosts will have better reliability, and far faster recovery in case of something going boom, than your ISP

- risky. You're potentially opening up your home computer and network - including personal files - if you become the target of a hacker with a few brain cells.

You can grab a digitalocean droplet for $5 a month and I suspect there are cheaper options too.

Hi, I was just wondering how I would be able to host my site from my home computer?

Instead of paying for a hosting account, as I am pretty tight on cash at the moment, and find that this would be easier to host my game from my own computer rather than use a hosting site to host my domain.

Also is this an easy thing to do?

1. Yes it is possible (People do it for development)

2. As suggested it can have risks.

3. For it to work you can use Wamp or Xamp or some sort of programme that has php and mysql installed on it which will work with your computer.

I offered shared hosting (resources are shared among a very small group of customers so plenty to go around if you wish to speak more about that let me know)