MakeWebGames

Windows installation problem

KyleMassacre

Well if you have a USB disk or a DVD you may be able to get away with disconnecting the HDD. It's been a long time since I have used windows but if I remember the boot sequence is called that for a reason. It will look for the first available OS image and boot it. If it's not in the HDD then it should move on to a DVD-ROM possibly, if not there then it should go to removable storage like a flash drive.

Or or borrow a friends HDD set it as master, set yours as slave so it won't boot from yours and go that way.

Otherwise buy a new HDD. That may fix it but if your bios isn't letting you in then you have other issues. Maybe you downloaded something aweful and it corrupted your bios. If so, have fun with that

I ordered recovery media disks for my laptop.

Only cost me $66 compared to $160 for a new windows install disk

Sounds like your system is still booting into the C drive rather then from the USB/DVD, considering a fresh install wouldn't care about the current state of your installation.

Double check your BIOS boot options, and if there's an option try booting directly from the device during start up.

If you want to consider something other than Windows I'd highly recommend http://elementary.io

I used elementary for a while, the UI is very nice but runs off an old Linux kernel and is not as fast as alternatives. But i would recommend this/Ubuntu to a first time Linux user. i would recommend arch Linux to someone use to the command line

I ordered recovery media disks for my laptop.

Only cost me $66 compared to $160 for a new windows install disk

Some laptops have a recovery partition on the HDD, you could check if you have one. But i would advise checking Linux out at some point even if you have it as a VM, for development it is so much easier then windows

• 3 weeks later...