MakeWebGames

Ajax call after timeout

KyleMassacre

Ok, so basically I have an ajax call that I am making on a timeout and I only want it to work initially when the page loads and if the browser/tab is actually active. So in other words the call does not get made if you are in another tab or you open up another program. Unfortunately I am on my phone right now and can't post any snippets worth anything but here I go with some major stuff:

$([window,document]).ready(function() { //not really sure this is right either for what I want. I read it's for X-Browser
   myFunction();//Inital call because it displays data
   function myFunction() {
       $.ajax({
           //non important
      }).done({
           //makes the data display in the header
       }).success({
          //this is where I want to check if the browser window/tab is in focus and there is a timeout function here that calls myFunction again
       });   
   }
});

The problem I have is that by default the window/tab is not in focus on default and the only way to get it to work is if I go to another tab and switch back then it will start, and the other issue is I need it to stop if it's out of focus again. I looked online and tried pretty much everything I can find on this and nothing worked like I wanted. So if you have some tips I would greatly appreciate it.

P.S. I know I'm missing some function()'s here and there so that's not the issue

I wouldnt say I know a lot of jQuery but I ran across a similar problem in one of my other projects.

Initially, for this to work I believe, you need to have a function that sets your timeout.

Eg.

$(document).ready(function() {
  var myTimeout;
  var ajaxSuccess = 0;

myFunction(); //Inital call because it displays data

function setMyTimeout() {
     myTimeout = setTimeout(myFunction(), 1000);
  }

function myFunction() {
     $.ajax({
           //non important
     }).done({
           //makes the data display in the header
     }).success({
         ajaxSuccess = 1;
     });
  }

if(ajaxSuccess == 1){
     $(window).focus(function() {
           if (!myTimeout){
              setMyTimeout();
           }
     });

$(window).blur(function() {
         clearTimeout(myTimeout);
     });
  }
});

That is completely untested, it may work, but at the very least I hope it gives you something to think about