MakeWebGames

Browser Based Game Tutorial Site

bbgengine

• 6 months later...

In my opinion you can't really learn how to build a "Browser Based Game", people may not like "Your" idea and would probably like to come up with there own and the biggest downfall of this is there isn't any real "originality", I would hate having the same game as someone with the same features, yet others may argue on my point and say game engines provide all of what I have stated but we're talking about a tutorial not a game engine. Secondly if you we're going to open a site like this you would have to make sure what you teaching others is "safe" code wise and not lousy, because other most experience coders and developers could and would judge you on this and give you bad feedback others could even find loopholes and issues with your code. Thirdly the work and effort you put in wouldn't profit/benefit you, Why? Because there's so many tutorials and engines available out there for this, so what makes your idea different?. Those are just a few of my opinions just think about what i've stated but also bare in mind im not trying to discourage you, I just don't want you to make the same mistake as others :)

Edited by jcvenom

In my opinion you can't really learn how to build a "Browser Based Game", people may not like "Your" idea and would probably like to come up with there own and the biggest downfall of this is there isn't any real "originality", I would hate having the same game as someone with the same features, yet others may argue on my point and say game engines provide all of what I have stated but we're talking about a tutorial not a game engine. Secondly if you we're going to open a site like this you would have to make sure what you teaching others is "safe" code wise and not lousy, because other most experience coders and developers could and would judge you on this and give you bad feedback others could even find loopholes and issues with your code. Thirdly the work and effort you put in wouldn't profit/benefit you, Why? Because there's so many tutorials and engines available out there for this, so what makes your idea different?. Those are just a few of my opinions just think about what i've stated but also bare in mind im not trying to discourage you, I just don't want you to make the same mistake as others :)

I would disagree with your opinion, you can always learn how to make a TBG (text based game), even if you do learn by using a tutorial and sure people will end up with the same game but when they have enough experience they'd be able to add their own flair and their own ideas (which doesn't seem to be the case these days). Personally I feel that the main reason people are scared when it comes to making their own game is that they don't know where to start, so I think this sort of tutorials are actually a very good idea as they give people a sort of "jump start".

I would disagree with your opinion, you can always learn how to make a TBG (text based game), even if you do learn by using a tutorial and sure people will end up with the same game but when they have enough experience they'd be able to add their own flair and their own ideas (which doesn't seem to be the case these days). Personally I feel that the main reason people are scared when it comes to making their own game is that they don't know where to start, so I think this sort of tutorials are actually a very good idea as they give people a sort of "jump start".
I agree with this but wouldn't players need a basic understanding of the languages that would be shown in an tutorial such as html, css, php, sql ? Fair enough a tutorial like this could let people experiment with there own ideas but there is downfalls for some people but i totally agree with some parts of your opinion as its debatable

I agree with this but wouldn't players need a basic understanding of the languages that would be shown in an tutorial such as html, css, php, sql ? Fair enough a tutorial like this could let people experiment with there own ideas but there is downfalls for some people but i totally agree with some parts of your opinion as its debatable

You're right there, you must have some understanding, but it all depends on how he explains it all. It depends on who the writer thinks his readers will be, if he's writing this tutorial for people who're proficient enough but need some help then he won't have to much explaining. It just depends on who he intends his audience is going to be.

You're right there, you must have some understanding, but it all depends on how he explains it all. It depends on who the writer thinks his readers will be, if he's writing this tutorial for people who're proficient enough but need some help then he won't have to much explaining. It just depends on who he intends his audience is going to be.

100% true but personally I would prefer i site where you cam practice around with the code like codeacademy because i personally feel reading is boring and won't attract many

100% true but personally I would prefer i site where you cam practice around with the code like codeacademy because i personally feel reading is boring and won't attract many

In your quote I have made the operative words bold. Because you find it boring, you think that others would. ;) Me, personally I don't mind reading an article/tutorial/guide, so long as I'm learning and the piece I am reading is interesting. Just pointing this out, don't take this in the wrong way, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

In your quote I have made the operative words bold. Because you find it boring, you think that others would. ;) Me, personally I don't mind reading an article/tutorial/guide, so long as I'm learning and the piece I am reading is interesting. Just pointing this out, don't take this in the wrong way, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I see and of course everyone entitled to there own opinion if that's what you like then it doesn't bother me