MakeWebGames

StarLords3K - An on-line strategic 4X space game

mahks

Looks like I'll have to give up on the Chrome conversion.

Seems Chrome has issues with iframe & visibility ... a hidden iframe isn't.

Tried to change to using display rather than visibility, got all swapped, then realized why I used visibility in the first place! Arrrgghh.

Display collapses the dimensions of an object, visibility does not. So you can't use display:none and referrer to things like clientWidth.

Unless I am missing something? Looks like Chrome is not ready yet. ;)

Will ensure the homepage can be seen in Chrome as per suggestions above, Thanks.

Does anyone actually develop using Chrome? If so what tools do they use? The native dev-tools and firebug-lite seem pretty lame.

Yeah, what exactly is your problem?

"Develop with Chrome?"

Chrome handles CSS better than the other browsers, in my opinion.

I use Chrome exclusively and things always behave exactly how I expect them to.

Though, a shot in the dark, maybe look into -webkit-?

Try this, create an iframe{visibility:hidden;width:100%;height:100%;z-index on top of all else.

in dev tools you cannot click on anything "under" it even though it is hidden.

In the browser the iframe will still be visible even though it is hidden.

Of course, not knowing what I am doing may be part of the problem and I am missing the obvious, but found several posts online about this.

Asked stackoverflow question

"chrome guy" seemed to think it a bug and reported it. I did find it strange, I would find a bug on my first day working with Chrome...

If you want to test, go to My website

Click Chrome logo in corner.

Click "Manual" button

Right-click and select "inspect element" from the context menu.

What do you get? A "hidden" iframe.

If you can see something I did wrong, please enlighten me.

I would like to get Chrome working...

Try this, create an iframe{visibility:hidden;width:100%;height:100%;z-index on top of all else.

in dev tools you cannot click on anything "under" it even though it is hidden.

In the browser the iframe will still be visible even though it is hidden.

Of course, not knowing what I am doing may be part of the problem and I am missing the obvious, but found several posts online about this.

Asked stackoverflow question

"chrome guy" seemed to think it a bug and reported it. I did find it strange, I would find a bug on my first day working with Chrome...

If you want to test, go to My website

Click Chrome logo in corner.

Click "Manual" button

What do you get? A "hidden" iframe.

If you can see something I did wrong, please enlighten me.

I would like to get Chrome working...

Did you try the JS suggestion on that very question?

I just get a constant loading animation.

Yes, that is what shows at the moment...try :

What do you get?

I get a "hidden" iframe. (id='f_load') actually the HTML tag, but on the hidden iframe

Yes, that is what shows at the moment...try :

What do you get?

I get a "hidden" iframe. (id='f_load') actually the HTML tag, but on the hidden iframe

So, wait, is your problem the "hidden" iframes actually showing up on the screen or just that it's showing they exist in dev tools?

Because, if it's the second, I don't really see how that would be a problem from a player's standpoint.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't post often here any more, and this thread pretty much sums up why. This nice chap comes on here to tell us about his new game, clearly explains why it is limited to Firefox, yet the first 3 pages are all questions as to why it is limited to Firefox and not supported on other browsers. Not one person decided to actually review the game and it's content, quite sad really.

That being said, I will give your game a try tomorrow when I get the chance. It definitely does look interesting from what I've seen so far. Seems like you've put a lot of time and effort into this.

I don't post often here any more, and this thread pretty much sums up why. This nice chap comes on here to tell us about his new game, clearly explains why it is limited to Firefox, yet the first 3 pages are all questions as to why it is limited to Firefox and not supported on other browsers. Not one person decided to actually review the game and it's content, quite sad really.

That being said, I will give your game a try tomorrow when I get the chance. It definitely does look interesting from what I've seen so far. Seems like you've put a lot of time and effort into this.

Ridiculousness.

Two pages are, in fact, filled with attempts to UNDERSTAND why it won't work outside of Firefox in an effort to try to supply some kind of solution.

Get over yourself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Update :

2 new in game options :

- Design your own ships

- Negotiate Treaties with Independent stars (NPCs)

Chrome has fixed the iframe visibility problem so I have got it 98% working in chrome now.

Just some incompatible things with canvas.

Graphics marginally improved, I updated the images in post # 1

Tutorial re-done, simplified, got rid of the videos, now text pop-up based. Could use some new blood to test the tutorial...

Edited by mahks

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...