MakeWebGames

JQuery PHP Form Replica

Coly010

The title might sound confusing, but in essence it isn't. I want to have a JQuery function that posts the data in a textbox and then resets the value of the textbox when the enter button is pressed.

I know that to post the data I use JQuery's $.post(); which i have now become familiar with. However my problem is finding whether or not the enter button has been pressed when the textbox is in focus. I know that I would give the textbox an id, then use a JQuery selector to select the element, then use an if statement to check if the enter button is pressed.

I know that there is a function in JQuery .keyPressed(event); but how do I use the event parameter to find out if the enter button has been pressed. A google search returned me with the following result:

$('#textbox').keypress(function(event){

var keycode = (event.keyCode ? event.keyCode : event.which);
if(keycode == '13'){
	alert('You pressed a "enter" key in textbox');	
}

});

and

$('#txt').keydown(function (e){
   if(e.keyCode == 13){
       alert('you pressed enter ^_^');
   }
})

but neither of these seem to work, and yes I have changed the id of the selector.

it just doesn't seem to be able to respond to the enter button being pressed.

I would prefer to be able to be able to use a <textarea> if that makes a difference.

Any help would be seriously appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I had. The problem was that i was loading a file using jquery, which didnt have the js file linked to it. I had expected that because i had it linked in the header file, and because jquery was loading the file onto a page which included the header file, the js functions would be able to be accessed by the file getting loaded by jquery