MakeWebGames

Things I Would Like To See

gmoore

So have been thinking while I am bored at my new job and looking through code on my Android. Here are some things I would like to see or be directed on how to do or be told that's just dumb:

1) Redirect to new screen or tab:

- Idea: Some things I might like to see in an independent screen. Such as for the admin table edits so they could be done at full screen width while the site is fixed. I know I can redirect by hand but is it still able to be secure and part of the site.

2) Text Module:

- Idea: Like the Welcome or Home module, which has some text entry, I would like to see ad-hoc text pages that I can place in the menu system. So in the Text Module, I might add a page 'Admin Notes', which could be added to the Admin Menu and the page would show up when clicked. I just think making a module, copied from Home, to just place text somewhere seemed like I could have a couple hundred modules at some point with Update Notes, Comments, How-To's, etc. Making a module is overkill here I think. So it might be like a page generator for pure text.

3) Stats Update:

- Idea: Allow use to select which modules we want Stats to be kept track of with a checkbox selection. This might be more flexible than putting physical code into every module.

These are all just opinions.

Thank you as always Alain and team!

Greg

1) So you would like basically to be able to have a different look and feel for the admin pages than the normal site right?

2) Here, I don't fully understand what you mean. You want some sort of re-usable wiki module? Or what?

3) Web stats you mean? So basically be able to monitor other module activity or what?

Hey Alain,

1) I think that would be the point. That way you get the best of both worlds. I can try to get that code together tonight, but you might have something better.

2) Not Wiki, just a module that hooks to the menu to add pages I can define such as .... "Hint & Tips", hook to "Documentation Menu", filled with "text/markup/images" like the Welcome or Home modules. This is just so I don't have to write a module to have a page of text show up. Like a CMS but simple without all the options. Just a page of anything I want. Purpose, to not write a module ONLY to put text on a page. Example: I was starting to get together all the pages I wanted to describe the game and I can up with "Hints", "Tips", "Starting", etc all under a "Documentation" menu section. All I could see to create this was a module for each (do I want a Hints Module, Tips Module?) and I slapped my head saying that's alot of work. Just might be easier for a common module for simple text pages. Then give me the same options to hook to a menu like a module and we can have unlimited text pages.

3) The web stats starts with Login, Logoff, Registration. I can go into every module and add the line to track that module, like Crimes for example but wouldn't it be better as a selectable option? Just thinking ahead.

if (function_exists("StatAction"))

StatAction(2);

To: (but added to every module)

if (function_exists("StatAction") && TrackStat('Login') == 'YES')

StatAction('Login');

Thank you for listening.

Greg

Edited by gmoore

Menu: so basically you would like to add fixed menu links which points to static content. Right? Doable, and not hard.

Stats: The issue is, I could very well track which module has been called and how many times, but that would be when the module is actually calling a content.php file, not much more and not when you actually do something there. So I'm somewhat unsure this is useful as stat.

Right static content ... but there could be 100's of pages of it. Like a rulebook or a static blog or a static group of links. All could be created using the existing editor that is built in, no special coding. So eventually we could add other options in here, like sub pages and common static content. But for now, static html pages hooking to where ever we want on the various menus would be a big plus to the engine I think. I would just want to keep out all the over head a blog or wiki would add. Keep it simple like the rest of the engine.

What did you have in mind for the web stats module then? Just track logins, logouts and registrations? I saw it as seeing how the game is being played and what areas I need to focus on. For example, if I put the crime module in, I might want to see how used it is ... if under what I thought, what should I do to improve it. Just beats adding code to every module and lets me pick and choose what I need to see. It also would let me turn it off if I don't need the information.

Greg

Also,

1) What are there 2 db_close() statements at the end of index.php? Shouldn't 1 be enough?

2) Do you think it would be cool to save the last X occurrences of $output in index.php in order to be able to look over the user's shoulder? You could turn the links to '#' so you wouldn't accidentally click them. But it might be good for the debug process or see if someone is abusing the system. Just a thought.

Greg

2 db close? Certainly a mistake! I will check thanks for the report.

For saving the output of the player, well... of course that could be done. Would you save it in the DB or via file? And... keep in mind that will have quiet some impact in the performances (btw that could be done as module without modifying the core).

Added the possibility to add links to the inside menu. Now you don't need to create a module for it, you just edit a table and the menu entries will be added. That should let you link to static content if you want. Let me know if that was your second point. If yes I can add the same for the public menu.

So close. I would add a text field rather that a link. I thought the text then would come up as the page in the content area. Does that make sense? You did ask if it was static content....but I sort of meant static from the db. Well just a thought. as always. ty foe the change.

Greg