MakeWebGames

What is the ideal engine for you?

john-doe

The title mostly covers it all. What is the ideal engine for you? What features are you looking for?

Personally I would want to see a engine with a solid architecture, some type of coding standards and modular. Many engines today's code structure is horrible and in many cases unreadable.

It all depends on the following points in my opinion:

1) What are your skills? None or little, then it's better to start with a script as it may already act like a tutorial.

2) What is the "time pressure" you have with your project? If you don't have any time pressure, then invest the time and do it yourself, otherwise an engine / framework could help.

3) Do you find an engine which does most if not all what you need? Then again maybe it saves you time to re-use something instead of creating all from scratch. I doubt many of you created their own language to code their games, therefore an engine or a framework is somewhat an extension, a building block which can help you. But it should help not block or force you.

So is there a "best engine" out there? No. It's like there isn't a single "best" car or "best" phone. What I need may be totally different from what you need.

If I was starting a game now it would be none, the time it takes you to edit a script to the way you like it and the money it costs.myouncould make a half decent script.

In that case you might have worked with a/many bad engine(s). Personally, I think that engines shouldn't focus on delivering as many modules/scripts as possibles but instead give us a solid base too start upon, you should be able to focus right away on your game and not having too worry about e.g. writing the object-relational mapping library first. Having it modularized helps keeping structure and obviously there are some good modules/scripts out there.